Ch. 3 The Divorce Dilemma

[Scene: A lawyer's office. Alex and Tyson are sitting across from each other, with their respective lawyers on either side. The room is tense and uncomfortable.]

Lawyer: Alright gentlemen, let's get started. Now, Tyson, you've filed for divorce on the grounds of infidelity. Care to elaborate on that?

Tyson: [Glaring at Alex] Yes, Your Honor. My husband cheated on me with a much younger man named Jason.

Alex: [Looking down] I'm sorry, Tyson. I know what I did was wrong.

Lawyer: And how do you plead, Alex?

Alex: Guilty.

Lawyer: Alright. Now, let's try to come to an agreement on the terms of the divorce. Tyson, what are your demands?

Tyson: I want half of everything we own, including the house, the cars, and our savings.

Alex: What?! That's not fair!

Tyson: Oh, so cheating on me with a 22-year-old is fair?

Alex: [Scoffing] He was 24, actually.

Tyson: [Rolling his eyes] Whatever.

Lawyer: Alright, alright. Let's try to stay on track here. Alex, what are your counter-demands?

Alex: I want custody of our cat, Fluffy.

Tyson: [Laughing] You can have the cat, Alex. I don't want her anyway.

Alex: [Smiling] Yes! And I also want the toaster.

Tyson: [Confused] The toaster?

Alex: Yes, the toaster. It's a really good toaster.

Tyson: [Shaking his head] Fine. You can have the toaster.

Lawyer: [Writing down the terms] Okay, so we have custody of the cat and the toaster. Anything else?

Alex: [Thinking] Hmm, oh! I want my 80s mixtape back.

Tyson: [Rolling his eyes again] You can have your stupid mixtape.

Lawyer: Alright, gentlemen, it looks like we've come to an agreement. Let's finalize these terms and get you both on your way.

Alex: [Standing up] Thank you, Your Honor. And Tyson, I'm really sorry for what I did.

Tyson: [Standing up as well] I know. And I'm sorry too.

[The two men hug awkwardly and leave the office.]

[Scene: Alex's apartment. He's sitting on the couch, listening to his 80s mixtape and eating toast from his prized toaster. There's a knock on the door.]

Alex: [Getting up to answer it] Who is it?

Voice: It's Jason.

Alex: [Surprised] Jason? What are you doing here?

[Jason walks in, looking nervous.]

Jason: I heard about the divorce and I just wanted to check on you.

Alex: [Smiling] That's really sweet, Jason. I'm doing okay, though. And I think it's probably best if we don't see each other for a while.

Jason: [Nodding] I understand. I just wanted to apologize for what happened.

Alex: [Putting his hand on Jason's shoulder] It's okay. We all make mistakes. Just don't make the same one twice, okay?

Jason: [Smiling] I won't. Take care, Alex.

Alex: [Closing the door after Jason leaves] Well, that was unexpected.

[Fluffy the cat jumps onto Alex's lap, and he scratches her behind the ears.]

Alex: [Smiling] At least I still have you, Fluffy.

[The scene fades to black as Alex continues listening to his mix