THIRTY ONE

(CHAPTER 31 - THE MILLER'S DAUGHTER)

🦢🗡

Flashback

A young Cora arrived home to find her father passed out drunk on a wheelbarrow of grains, with another wheelbarrow of prepared flour beside him.

"Father. Father!" Young Cora said as she approached him.

The Miller woke up reluctantly, "What? I'm resting," He complained

"You're always resting. The flour was due to be delivered this morning. I, for one, would like to be able to eat this week," Young Cora said before taking the wheelbarrow of prepared flour, and walking away with it.

----------<3----------

Young Cora arrived at the market and began to unload the flour, where she soon crossed paths with King Xavier, Princess Eva, a young Prince Henry and several of their escorts. As the royal party walked past, Princess Eva tripped Young Cora, causing her to fall and drop the flour.

"You stupid, foolish girl!" Young Cora said.

"What happened here?" King Xavier asked.

"Oh, the peasant fell...as they do," Princess Eva said.

"Are you alright?" King Xavier asked.

"I'm fine," Young Cora said.

"Not you. Eva," he looked at the princess, "Are you all right, Eva?" King Xavier said.

"Well, she ruined my slippers," Princess Eva said as Young Cora stood up.

"I don't think the girl meant any harm," Prince Henry said.

King Xavier looked at Young Cora, "You shall receive no money for the flour, and you will apologize to Eva," He said.

"Apologize? The wench tripped me," Young Cora said.

"Curb your tongue! This is Princess Eva from the Northern Kingdom, our honored guest. She's a very important woman," King Xavier said.

"She's a girl," Young Cora said.

"And who are you, miller's daughter? What's your name?" Young Xavier asked.