FORTY FOUR

(CHAPTER 44 - AND STRAIGHT ON 'TIL MORNING)

🦢🗡

The twins, Nadia and Regina walked through the mines, heading towards the trigger, "Do you guys feel that?" Emma asked.

"I can feel it. It's like the oxygen's being sucked out of the air," Elias said.

"Not the oxygen, the magic," Regina said.

"Oh, feels like oxygen," Elias said.

"It feels the same," Nadia said.

"Explains a lot...I guess," Elias said as they turned the corner, seeing the diamond floating in the air, still glowing blue and the four of them approached it.

"There it is. Once it stops glowing, it's destruction is achieved. And then...well, then we'll see the real carnage. I'll try to contain its energy as long as I can," Regina said as she stood behind the diamond.

"It won't be long. We'll have the beans soon, and we can get the hell out of here," Emma said.

"Slowing the device, it's going to require all of the strength I have," Regina said.

"You're not coming with us, are you?" Nadia asked.

"When you said goodbye to Henry, you were saying goodbye," Elias said.

Regina looked at him, tearfully, "He knows I love him, doesn't he?" She asked.

"Of course he does, but Regina, no. There has gotta be another way," Elias said.

"You were right, you know. Everything that's happening, it's my fault. I created this device, it's only fitting that it takes my life," Regina said.

"What am I supposed to tell Henry?" Elias asked.

"Tell him that in the end, it wasn't too late for me to do the right thing," Regina said.

"Regina, please..." Elias said.

"Everyone looks at me as the Evil Queen, including my son," he looked at Regina, sadly, "Let me die as Regina," She said.

"Regina..." Elias said as he stepped forward to stop her, but Regina ignored him, placing her hands in front of the diamond, and a stream of magic connected to it.

Just then, a red stream of magic connected to the diamond from the other side and Regina looked up, seeing Nadia, "You're not doing this alone," Nadia said and Regina smiled a little.

"Nadia, no," Emma said.

Nadia looked at the twins, "Thank you for believing that I could change," She said.

"Please..." Emma said and Nadia simply smiled at her, before turning back to the diamond.

----------<3----------

In the backroom of the pawnshop, Mr Gold poured a drink for himself and Lacey, "To the end of the world," he offered her the drink, but she hesitated, "Come on, it'll help numb it," Mr Gold said.

"I, uh, I'll drink to that," she reach for the glass, but ended up spilling it, "Oh, I...I'm so sorry. Uh, here. I got it," Lacey said and grabbed Seraphina's shawl, beginning to clean up the spill.

"Stop! Stop! Put that down!" Mr Gold said.

"It's just an old rag," Lacey said.

Mr Gold took it from her, "It belonged to someone very important. You wouldn't understand," He said.

"I said I'm sorry," Mr Gold looked at her, realizing what he had to do and opened the safe behind him, bring out the remains of the chipped cup and proceeded to use magic to fix it, "That cup again," she nodded her head, "What is it?" Lacey asked.