Chapter 7: Purple (#CEC2EB)

"Morning Jayden!" Alex waved when he saw his superior enter the office.

"Morning. How...was the date with Angel?" Jayden asked.

"Wait, you're asking me? How my date was?" Alex almost spat out his coffee. 

"Yes...How was your weekend, Sabrina?" Jayden nodded before turning to the only female member of their team. 

"Good, Sir..." Sabrina was equally taken aback.

"Sir...did you hear Jayden?" Alex made a fuss as he ran to Det. Torres.

"I did...Jayden, are you okay?" Det Torres was equally confused.

"Yes, Sir. I'm perfectly fine." Jayden was regretting his decision to listen to Tricia. She'd suggested that Jayden could try and show more interest in the life of the people around him. Asking them about their day and the things they did in their free time was a way to build relationships. 

"What did you do to Jayden, give him back!" Alex grabbed Jayden by the collar and shook him.

"I'm just trying to be sociable..." Jayden explained albeit his inability to convince even himself.

"Wow, sociable and Jayden, two words I never thought I'd hear in my lifetime. But I could get used to it." Det Torres grinned. Jayden sent Det. Torres a grateful nod.

"Lunch?" Alex swung by Jayden's table. Jayden usually ate lunch at his desk so he could work while eating but Alex tried his luck nonetheless.

"Sure." Jayden nodded, making Alex stumble. 

"Sabrina, Jayden's coming to lunch with us today!" Alex called across the room to their youngest member. 

"My treat today since Jayden's coming with us." Det. Torres offered to celebrate this 'momentous occasion'. 

"They mixed up my order..." Sabrina sighed as the waiter set the food down on the table. 

"Here, mine's the thigh. I can have the breast meat." Jayden offered to exchange his plate with Sabrina's. 

"Talaga? Thank you, Sir!" Sabrina lit up as Jayden placed his plate of food before her. 

"Wow, you know that Sabrina likes the thigh meat?" Alex covered his mouth. 

"Jayden's a silent observer. He doesn't say much but he knows everything about you guys." Det. Torres defended Jayden.

"What's my bubble tea order?" Alex tested.

"Brown sugar milk tea with boba, 50% sugar. Sabrina usually gets a fruit tea with aloe vera jelly, 25% or 0% sugar. Sir takes green tea with white boba, 25% or 0% sugar." Jayden answered without a hint of hesitation. 

"What about my office habits?" Alex tried again.

"You like to get coffee at 3pm everyday and it has to be iced. Sabrina tends to tie her hair up with a claw clip and chew on Mentos whenever she gets stressed thinking about cases. Sir eats Choc Nuts whenever he's in a bad mood and enjoys having his mid-day coffee, black without sugar and milk." All these were no challenge for Jayden. 

"Wait, how come I never noticed that about Sir and Sabrina?" Alex was flustered. 

"Because you're too busy with yourself. Jayden makes the effort to pay attention, just that he didn't really show it." Det. Torres chided Alex jokingly. 

"Wow, is that why you offer me a row of Mentos and Sir a bag of Choc Nuts everytime you return from the convenience store?" Sabrina joined the dots. Jayden had always been silently offering Det. Torres and her things that they liked.