Chapter 9: Grey (#C0C0C2)

"Aren't you going home?" Alex looked at his watch. It was way past their official shift.

"I was planning on heading to the hospital..." Jayden replied. 

"Oooh, to see Dr Tricia?" Alex teased. 

"To see Kaela." Jayden corrected.

"You can see both Kaela and Dr Tricia then." Alex stuck his tongue out and ran away before Jayden could hit him with his pen. 

"Hi Nurse Rose, have you had dinner?" Jayden approached the nurse station. 

"Yes I have. What brings you here today?" Nurse Rose smiled. 

"Kaela. Thought I had to apologise for the other day..." Jayden gave Nurse Rose an awkward smile. 

"She just finished dinner. You can head in if you like." Nurse Rose pointed to the ward that Kaela was in. 

"Thank you. Have a great night." Jayden bowed slightly before heading to the ward. 

"Mr Policeman?" Kaela tilted her head when she heard Jayden knock. 

"Hi Kaela, may I come in?" Jayden asked for permission, stepping in only after Kaela nodded. 

"Did you find my friends?" Kaela asked the second Jayden came closer. 

"Not yet...but we're working hard. We want to save your friends as much as you do." Jayden assured Kaela. 

"Oh..." Kaela's face fell. 

"I wanted to give you this, to say I'm sorry for making you cry..." Jayden handed a paper bag to Kaela. 

"What's this?" Kaela took the contents out of the bag. 

"A colouring book and colour pencils. You can colour the pictures in any colour you like." Jayden explained as he showed them to Kaela. 

"Can I draw too?" Kaela was excited.

"Of course you can." Jayden was glad that Kaela liked his present. He'd contemplated for a long time and even asked for Joshua's opinion. 

"Thank you, Mr Policeman!" Kaela reached out to hug Jayden. 

"You're most welcome, Kaela." Jayden was a little taken aback by the sudden hug, yet he couldn't help but melt at the sweet gesture. 

"Do you want to see my friend, Rocco?" Kaela held up the toy from Tricia. 

"Rocco?" Jayden let out a small chuckle. 

"Trishie gave it to me!" Kaela boasted. 

"Trishie? You mean Dr Tricia?" Jayden smiled at the way Kaela called Tricia. 

"Uh huh! Trishie says Rocco is my friend whenever I feel scared." Kaela hugged the small toy tightly. 

"I see...do you feel scared now?" Jayden asked. 

"A little bit...but the boat, the big car and the cage was scarier." Kaela frowned. 

"What do you mean by boat, car and cage?" Jayden probed as he recorded the conversation. 

"The scary men made me sit in a dark car for a long time. Then they brought me on a boat that was so shaky, my stomach felt sick. The cage was where Jack, Lily, Anna and I stayed..." Kaela recounted. 

"How long were you in the car and boat for?" Jayden hated to push Kaela but she was the only link they had. 

"Very long...there was a small window at the top of the boat. It went from day to night 5 times..." Kaela held her fingers up.