Chapter 29: Repress

"You were looking for me?" Diablo lit a cigarette.

"I want to know how I got here." Jayden cut to the chase.

"Why the sudden curiosity?" Diablo cocked his head sideways.

"If you want me to continue working for you, I need something in return. No one works for free." Jayden crossed his arms.

"I pay you well." Diablo rebutted.

"I can earn money through other means." Jayden didn't back down.

"Go on then. Leave if you want." Diablo challenged.

"Let's not waste anymore time. You have me here because you need me and I'm here because you have answers for me. There's no point in playing games." Jayden threw it out.

"Fine. You asked for it." Diablo spoke up after a while. Grabbing a yellow envelope, Diablo handed it to Jayden.

"These were the people you showed me previously." Jayden scanned through the multiple pictures the team, mostly of Det Torres, Alex and even Sabrina.

"They are the reason you've desperately been looking for." Diablo studied Jayden's expression but the latter just stared at Diablo silently.

"Your father and I were like brothers. You were a smart kid with a bright future. Detective Daniel Torres. He tore you apart from your happy family. He ruined any chance you had at a good life." Diablo spoke brazenly.

"He killed my parents?" Jayden had to stop himself from scoffing.

"He caused the car crash that killed your parents. You were the only survivor. Before they died, I promised them to take care of you. And to take revenge." Diablo grabbed Jayden's head and looked him in the eyes.

"This guy is the police, why would he kill my parents? And in case you forgot, everything you're doing now doesn't make you reliable at all." Jayden stared back.

"That's the whole point, Jayden. They are the police and we're the bad guys. It's them vs us. We have to get them before they get to us." Diablo took another puff.

"We...so you mean my parents..." Jayden couldn't believe Diablo's web of lies.

"That's right. Your parents and I, we started this whole thing. And your father wanted you to finish this." Diablo let out an evil chuckle.

"You want me to kill that cop? For revenge?" Jayden pointed to Det Torres in the picture.

"If you can, him and his entire team. Maybe even his family." Diablo laughed even louder.

"How do I know you're not lying to me?" Jayden retorted.

"You see that necklace you had in the picture?" Diablo handed a picture to Jayden. It was a family picture of him and his parents before the accident. 

"This..." Jayden couldn't fathom how Diablo got hold of the picture.

"I have it." Diablo shoved his hand into his pocket and held out his palm. In it was indeed the necklace that Jayden had on his neck.

"If you still don't believe me, you have a scar on your left rib. It was from the accident." Diablo was right this time again.

"What do I have to do?" Jayden hoped his questions were enough to counter-convince Diablo. 

"We're leaving for Manila next week. You're coming along." Diablo flicked his cigarette onto the ground and stepped on it. 

"What's the plan?" Jayden asked. 

"I'll tell you in due time." Diablo smirked as turned to leave.

"Wait." Jayden held onto Diablo. 

"What now." Diablo rolled his eyes.