Chapter 41: Kumpas

"Trish..." Jayden called out softly.

"Hmm?" Tricia looked at Jayden.

"Thank you." Jayden whispered.

"You've been saying thank you the entire day." Tricia reminded Jayden.

"There's something I didn't manage to tell you during the wedding." Jayden made a face.

"I'm yours for the night." Tricia shrugged.

"When I was struggling to put my wedding vow into words, Alex asked me a question. How would I describe you as a song." Jayden recounted how Alex has watched him write and erase his speech.

"So what did you say?" Tricia was curious.

"Kumpas." Jayden replied.

"Kumpas? The one by Moira Dela Torre?" Tricia knew the song but never really thought much about it.

Ikaw ang kumpas pag naliligawIkaw ang kulay sa langit na bughawSa bawat bagyo na dumadayoIkaw ang kanlungan na kailangan koKahit hindi mo alamIlang beses mo akong niligtasIkaw ang hantungan, at aking wakas

"You were my compass who guided me out of the darkness. You not only became the colour of my sky, you are my rainbow. Through my darkest times, you are the one my heart yearns to seek refuge in. You saved me, Tricia. The Jayden you see now would never have been the same without you." Jayden confessed.

"It wasn't just me. You made it happen. You gave me the chance to be your compass." Tricia cupped Jayden's face.

"And now we're at our destination, together." Jayden kissed Tricia's palms.

"With a plus one." Tricia grinned.

"With a plus one." Jayden agreed.

"Panga, do you know what Ate Aiks and Jill say about you?" Tricia threw a quiz at Jayden.

"Uh...I hope it's nothing bad?" Jayden had no clue.

"You're like tinapay to me." Tricia laughed.

"Bread?" Jayden raised an eyebrow.

"I was confused at first too. But I finally understood why. So many carbohydrates in the world but nothing beats tinapay. Bread comes in countless forms. It's sweet and salty. It looks simple from the outside but takes a lot of patience and practice to perfect. It can be eaten alone or with other sides. It's the prefect carbohydrate." Tricia smiled at her 'tinapay'.

"Maybe I should take over Lola's bakery..." Jayden joked.

"I like Inspector Jayden more than Patisser Jayden." Tricia shook her head.

"Really? I thought you said I look sexy in the kitchen? Especially when I'm in a singlet?" Jayden teased.

"Sexy indeed but not sexier than when you're chasing suspects." Tricia shrugged.

"I heard from Nurse Rose that someone thought I was too reckless?" Jayden pouted.

"Not wrong. But you were reckless in order to protect the innocent civilians. I couldn't fault you for that." Tricia poked Jayden's dimples.

"So you fell for me then?" Jayden was curious.

"What's with the confidence, Mr Rivera?" Tricia scoffed.

"I fell for you the second time I saw you though." Jayden confessed.

"Was that why you kept getting injured?" Tricia rolled her eyes.