Chapter 15: Deadlines

"We just got news that the heads of the syndicate are now in Malaysia. The local police are trying to track them down." Det. Torres updated the team. 

"Oh, so what does that mean for the operation?" Sabrina asked. She and Jayden were online since they still couldn't return to the station. 

"Means we only have to focus on shutting down the local operations, the job of capturing the big shots will be done by the Malaysians." Det. Torres replied. 

"Means less work for us too..." Alex couldn't hold in his excitement. 

"But it also means we have to wait until the Malaysian police track them down before we raid their local hideout." Jayden caught the main dilemma. 

"That's right. If we raid the hideout prematurely, they might flee before the Malaysian police get to them. The higher ups of each country have agreed to wait until the Malaysians give us the go ahead." Det. Torres agreed. 

"And how long would that take?" Jayden sighed. 

"They've asked for a maximum of 1 week. Have you guys been checking in through Jack?" Det. Torres asked. 

"We bribed the broker and the person in charge of children to let us take Jack out twice. Things seemed to have slowed down over here since the figureheads are overseas. The children are currently safe, so that's a good sign." Jayden updated. 

"Have they suspected anything?" Det. Torres checked. 

"Not for now. We've reminded Jack not to say anything..." Sabrina shook her head. 

"But this responsibility shouldn't be on him. The longer we take, the more danger Jack and the other children could be in." Jayden argued. 

"But that's only if the men find out." Alex replied. 

"I was wondering, Sir..." Jayden started. 

"I think I know what you're hinting at..." Det. Torres had worked long enough with Jayden to know. 

"If we're afraid that we rock the boat before we catch the big fish, why don't we make it so that the small fish can't tip off the big fish?" Jayden suggested. 

"So we catch the small fish and we could either use them to catch the big fish or just keep them silent?" Det. Torres smiled. 

"Exactly." Jayden nodded. 

"Wait, what's this small fish and big fish talk about?" Alex was lost. 

"Sir is suggesting that we raid the local hideout first and prevent them from tipping off the heads in Malaysia or even use them to lure them out. That way, we can save the children faster without threatening the entire operation." Sabrina explained. 

"Bingo. You catch on fast." Jayden smiled at Sabrina. Sabrina blushed. 

"Oh...but don't we have to get permission?" Alex wondered. 

"That's the simplest part of the plan, Alex." Det. Torres chuckled. 

"But what if the higher ups say no?" Alex asked again. 

"Then we think again if they say no." Det. Torres could only hope for a go ahead. 

~

"Hi Dr Tricia!" Sabrina waved as she spotted Tricia at the lift. 

"Hi Sabrina!" Tricia smiled back. 

"Did you just get off work?" Sabrina saw the duffel that Tricia was carrying. 

"Yep, I had a 36 hour shift." Tricia held her upsized cup of iced coffee.