Chapter 24: Crossroads

"Jayden! You're back!" Alex ran up to Jayden as he walked into the station. 

"Did not miss you a single bit." Jayden joked as he handed Alex the souvenirs from Malaysia. 

"Neither did I. I was greeting the souvenirs." Alex retorted as he dug into the bag. 

"How was the trip, kuya?" Sabrina smiled. 

"We had a lot of fun with Kaela. Trish and I really needed that break." Jayden handed Sabrina her gifts as well. 

"Don't make it sound like I mistreat you, Rivera." Det Torres emerged from his office. 

"Of course you don't, Sir. Just overtime 3-4 times a week, no lunch breaks and weekends." Jayden replied sarcastically. 

"I'm forgiving you on account of the gifts." Det Torres grabbed the bag that Jayden held out. 

"How magnanimous, Sir." Jayden laughed. 

"Follow me to my office." Det Torres leaned in and whispered. Jayden immediately knew what it was about. 

"Did we manage to find something?" Jayden was stripped of his smiles. 

"We did get a few tip-offs. Lately, he's been dabbling in money laundering, mostly in the Southeast Asia region." Det Torres handed Jayden the tablet with intel. 

"Is he back in the Philippines?" Jayden read through the information. 

"He's currently stationed in Thailand. But that's not the biggest challenge, Jayden." Det Torres sighed.

"I know. We have no grounds to arrest him." Jayden and Det Torres had no evidence of the man's involvement. 

"But if he was the one behind the threatening letters..." Jayden's head was in a mess. 

"We can't prove anything at this point. The only thing we can do currently is dig further into this money laundering business he's in." Det Torres was also at a lost. 

"You have a copy of the post-accident inspection done on the car, right?" An idea struck Jayden. 

"Yes..." Det Torres opened up the file on his computer. 

"Look here." Jayden pointed at the screen. 

"Unable to ascertain if the breaks were faulty due to the fire..." Det Torres read. 

"Is this enough to request for a re-investigation?" Jayden wondered. 

"I'm afraid not...besides, there's no way for us to get a second opinion now. The evidence is all gone." Det Torres shook his head. 

"What about the truck driver? What if we work from there?" Jayden pushed on.

"Would you be okay?" Det Torres' voice did a 180-degree change. 

"If we want a case, I don't have an alternative." Jayden bit his lip.

"I could do it if you want." Det Torres offered. 

"I want to do it. It's time, kuya." Jayden stood up. 

"I'll send you the details." Det Torres gave in.