Chapter 11: Orange (#F28500)

"Sir, we've found a match!" Alex came rushing into the station. 

"Match?" Det. Torres looked up from his computer. 

"For Kaela!" Alex replied. 

"Kaela?" Jayden immediately took an interest. 

"Kaela's from Malaysia." Alex flashed the information up on the screen. 

"Kaela, 4 years old. From Kuala Lumpur, been in Hope Orphanage since birth. The head sister reported Kaela missing 3 months ago." Alex briefed. 

"That's it? What's Kaela's full name? Birthday?" Jayden frowned at the sparse information. 

"The kids in the orphanage usually come in with some form of identification but Kaela didn't have anything with her when they found her at the gate as a baby." Alex shook his head. 

"Does the embassy know yet?" Det. Torres checked. 

"The higher ups are planning to report it to the immigrations authority soon. Kaela's technically an undocumented immigrant now..." Alex sighed. 

"Will she get deported?" Jayden was worried. 

"If the authorities want to, they technically can." Det. Torres answered. 

"But we still haven't found her friends...and she still needs medical attention." Jayden reasoned. 

"We will see what the authorities say first...if need be, we can request for an extension of stay for Kaela as an important witness to the case." Det. Torres assured Jayden. 

"Any news from the informants? We don't have much time..." Jayden turned to Alex. 

"We just got wind that they are looking out for wealthy couples interested to adopt, either locally or internationally." Alex nodded, thankfully. 

"I guess we're taking the undercover route?" Det. Torres looked at the team. 

"One thing though, they are very thorough with their work." Alex sighed. 

"Thorough as in?" Sabrina wondered. 

"They do very stringent checks on the couples that adopt from them. Any possible links to the police or law enforcement authorities, the deal falls through immediately. The entire process leading up to the actual adoption is done by a broker to ensure they don't get their identities blown." Alex explained the complex and tight process. 

"Makes sense from a syndicate as big and complicated as theirs." Jayden processed what Alex had just said. 

"So how are we going undercover?" Sabrina asked the most important question. 

"We just need one of you guys to be a couple with Sabrina. We can work the rest out after we settle this. Sabrina, you have the honour of choosing your husband." Det. Torres looked at the younger members. 

"Uh...I..." Sabrina looked at Jayden and Alex with contemplation. 

"I think I make a good husband...Jayden will just bore you." Alex 'promoted' himself.

"Sir, can you just choose for me?" Sabrina looked at Det. Torres, unable to decide. 

"Really? Jayden, you're more experienced in going undercover. You'll do it with Sabrina." Det. Torres made the call. 

"Yes, Sir." Jayden nodded. 

"This is my first time going undercover...Can I just follow your lead?" Sabrina asked nervously. 

"I've only gone undercover alone...but as your senior, I promise I won't let you get into any danger." Jayden assured the younger female. 

"Thank you, Sir..." Sabrina tried to hide her shy smile.