2.

"Thank you, have a nice evening" Louis smiled politely at a couple, who was about to leave the restaurant, before heading back to the kitchen to get the plates for another table.

Passing his new colleague Alec on his way, Louis carried the plates over to the table with his usual polite smile plastered onto his face. A bit tired, he walked behind the counter and took a long breath, feeling a headache coming. Today really wasn't his day.

"Head up, mate. You're almost done for the day" one of his regulars tried to cheer him up. His name was Steve.

"I had a really stressful morning and a short night," Louis thought back to his very abrupt awakening and chaotic morning.

"I know these. Sarah had her night shift, so I had baby duty tonight and let me tell you, babies can be a handful when they're tired but not tired enough to actually sleep through the night" Steve let him partake in his similar struggles.

"I know. Friends of mine have two daughters and one of them was a nightmare during the night. The other one was surprisingly calm and slept through most nights. Like night and day," Louis shared some memories with him, really enjoying Steve's presence today.

"Sounds like a curse and a blessing at the same time" Steve chucked down the rest of his non-alcoholic drink.

"You could say that" Louis chuckled fondly, thinking about the two girls. They were lovely but definitely a handful.

"Are they the only ones of your friends, who have kids?" Steve asked interested while Louis prepared him another drink.

"Oddly enough, yes. One might think that with thirty-two most of my friends have at least one child, but no. Just them" Louis told him, glancing around the place and taking in the fact that he has been working here for over two years now. It felt surreal at times.

"It's not that odd. Apart from Sarah and me, only one of our friends has a child and it wasn't planned. Nowadays, people don't always want kids or not as early anymore and that is totally fine, don't you think?" Steve mused thoughtfully.

"You're right with that and I think it's a good thing. At least, they are sure then, which is better for the kids" Louis agreed with him.

"Still not always the case but true. Do you want kids someday?" Steve hooked casually, glancing down at his vibrating phone.

"I ...".

Louis never got to form a reply because he got cut off by a crashing sound coming from the kitchen. A few seconds later, he heard Alec cursing in the background and Sam reassuring him that everything was fine. Too used to this, Louis only shook his head at the scene and focused back on Steve, who had an amused expression on his face. "Still letting plates drop?".

"Every once in a while but he's only been doing this for a couple of weeks. He will learn. I'm sure" Louis was positive Alec would get the hang out of this sooner or later. He had managed it, after all.

"With you as his supervisor definitely" Niall skipped over to them chipperly, catching both of them by surprise.

"What are you doing here, Horan? No home?" Louis cocked an eyebrow up, fist-bumping with Niall casually.

"I'm here to make sure you won't have another reason to reject me, Tomlinson" Niall rested with his elbows on the counter.

"Did I miss something? What kind of rejection are we talking about?" Steve questioned befuddled.

"Over two years ago, me and my mates moved into our new home and Louis and his best friends helped us with the boxes. It wasn't planned and done out of pure kindness. On that day, we made the deal to go out for drinks as a thank you but until this day, we never managed to do that. One of us was always busy" Niall let him know, reminding Louis of said day and certain people. "Well, never me but mostly, Louis or Harry".