15.

When Niall had suggested a shared birthday party, Àmbar hasn't been sure if that was such a good idea. Louis could still remember her face when Niall had asked her. Niall had been a bit confused by her hesitation but Louis knew why she wasn't so keen on this. Her birthdays have never been pleasant back home and by now, she was always working on her day willingly to get it over with. So, a party was the last thing she wanted but by some miracle, she had actually agreed under the condition to keep it  simple and small.

Looking around the penthouse now, Louis could say Niall stayed true to his word. It wasn't a big party with unknown people and too much noise. No, it was a small gathering with all of their closest friends and good music and delicious food. Well, and Josh but that really didn't matter to him at the moment. He ignored his presence to focus on Àmbar and make sure she was alright.

But from what he saw, Àmbar looked really happy. Her friends from Germany had actually surprised her at the beginning of the week and were here right now together with Maribel and Kayla, obviously. On Niall's side, there were only Maya, Sean and Bailey alongside his brother, his parents and Harry's sister Abby. And for the better half of his time here, Louis had been avoiding her.

"Are you enjoying yourself, Am?" Louis joined Àmbar, who was taking a breather on the roof terrace. "Not too much?".

"Feasible and bearable" Àmbar inhaled deeply. "Mostly it's fine because I know everyone and I'm close to all of them but they are still people. Many people and many lights and music. That's why I'm out here to recharge for a moment".

"Thought so" Louis had known that without having to ask. "Do you want me to leave you alone?".

"No, stay. I'm alright when it's you" Àmbar offered him to stay with her, which was really special and he knew that. "Seeing Zayn and Liam together makes me really happy. They're cute, huh?".

"Really cute. It's nauseating" Louis chuckled lovingly.

"I apologised again that I couldn't be there for his birthday party but he said it was fine. I couldn't control my work. Still, I feel bad that I was the only one missing" Àmbar let him know vulnerably.

"You weren't. Maya wasn't there. She was with her parents because that had been planned for a long time" Louis told her to take away her unnecessary guilty conscience.

"That's different. Liam is one of my best friends and we've known each other for years now. Maya is new and 'only' Niall's girlfriend. That weights differently" Àmbar contradicted him surely.

"Maybe but he said it was fine and he means it" Louis smiled at her. "Besides, he was mostly focused on Zayn anyway. He wasn't even mad when Harry left because of Josh. So, it's no big deal".

"Were you mad at him?" Àmbar hooked delicately.

"Yes but most of all, I was hurt in a way I can't grasp or explain. He is changing and not for the better. Niall and Sean are seeing it and that worries me. He has been in a toxic relationship before. Why can't he see what Josh is doing? It makes me think that he is okay with all of it. That he thinks and feels the same as that asshole, which would be the worst but ... yeah" Louis admitted downcast.

"I wish I could say you're wrong but I don't know what to think anymore. At first, I thought he was just blinded by a silly crush or sexual tension but lately, he seems different. Josh is openly rude and he is doing nothing about it. Everything about it is wrong but he seems to think it's okay, which ... it doesn't suit the Harry we got to know. Maybe we lost him to his boyfriend, their fucked up society and his new car" Àmbar let him in on her view of things.

"I'm afraid you're right" Louis sighed out with a heavy heart.

"So, you're seeing it too?" a voice startled them big time. Scared to death, Louis whirled around and was met with Abby watching them. "You can see his obvious change in behaviour".