27.

Due to all the stress during the first weeks of January, Zayn's birthday gathering with his friends took place right at the end of the month, almost two weeks after his actual birthday. All morning, Louis had helped Liam set everything up at their flat because Zayn has been out with his sisters. Right now, he was the center of attention in their living room. All of their friends were here and showered Zayn with love and affection. He was the moment.

"That's absolutely amazing, Zayn!" Cody exclaimed in excitement when Zayn told them that two more people wanted to buy some of his paintings. "It's about time you get the recognition you deserve".

"Thank you. I can hardly believe it. The request was so random and came out of nowhere" Zayn blushed under all the attention.

"All good things happen unexpectedly" Àmbar nudged his arm playfully and Louis couldn't agree more. That was very true.

"Wise words, A" Sean agreed with her simply, glancing over and over again at Niall, who was sitting opposite him in the other armchair. "Sometimes you don't see it coming but it's exactly what you need or what you want and deserve".

"I couldn't have said it better" Niall raised his glass in agreement.

"It's only two more people, guys. I'm not suddenly a full-time artist, who can live from their paintings" Zayn noted modestly. "I'm still me, still working at the bar and still happy with it".

"And we're happy with and for you, Love" Liam pecked his cheek fleetingly, making everyone coo at them exaggeratedly.

"Oh, piss off".

Falling into more mindless chatter about what's new and what they've missed, time passed in the blink of an eye. Way too fast, it was time for dinner. Excusing himself during another loud round of conversation, Louis crept into the kitchen to throw the birthday dinner into the oven. Zayn had insisted on something simple that no one had to cook for over an hour. So, they had settled on chips and chicken nuggets, that one could throw in the oven without any needed effort. Staring at the oven, Louis decided to just wait here.

"Is it fun to stare at the oven?" Luke startled him lightly with his presence, chuckling at his half-hearted glare.

"Not as much fun as scaring unsuspecting people is for you" Louis shot back without any heat behind his words.

"Come on, Louis. You're not any better than me" Luke leaned against the counter opposite of him. "You're way worse".

"Did I mention that I hate you?" Louis huffed sulkily.

"I love you too, you idiot" Luke laughed amusedly. "And I can't help and feel really happy to see you this happy. Harry really came through, mh? You two look good together".

"Well, what can I say? I love him. More than anything really and at times, it feels like it's too much for my poor heart to handle and I'm lacking the words to express how much I love him but then I tell him exactly that and he admits to feeling the same. I don't know. I can't picture my life without him in it anymore" Louis admitted, getting lost in his own thoughts on the way.

"That was so disgustingly cute that I'd love to tease you until you punch me but I'm just so happy to hear that. You deserve all the love in the world and I'm glad you and Harry found each other. You belong together and everyone can see it" Luke smiled at him.

"Even if not, I wouldn't care" Louis shrugged non-committally.

"I'm gonna be sick" Luke gagged exaggeratedly. "Kill me, please".

"No can do. I think Cody wouldn't be too happy about that" Louis chuckled at his antics. "By the way, how are you two?".

"Good, very good. We talked about getting a dog because, as you know, I've always wanted one, and helping Àmbar out with Lucky sometimes made Cody crack. Now he is worse than me" Luke told him excitedly, barely able to contain his huge grin.