23.

Sean's POV

Moving back home after living with Niall and his family for five whole weeks felt strange to Sean. His heart kept telling him that something has changed in those five weeks but he wasn't too sure what it was. Maybe he had just missed the way things have been before the fire. Maybe he had just missed his own four walls and one of his best friends. Maybe nothing has changed, after all.

But something has definitely changed and that something was Louis and Harry. Sean could see them arrive at the apartment building from his car and couldn't help but watch them. Together with the two girls, they got out of the car, took their suitcases and made their way inside, hand in hand. Even from the outside, they looked absolutely happy and full of love. They looked like a perfect little family and that made Sean smile at the sight. He knew how much Harry had wanted a family of his own for years and now it looked like he had found his family in Louis and his girls. Sean was indescribably happy for him. For them.

Seeing how they disappeared into the building, Sean decided it was time for him to get going as well. Somehow lugubriously, he got out of his car and took his own suitcase, making his way inside and into the elevator. Reaching his penthouse, he stepped inside and was met with silence. Niall has already been here a few hours ago before heading off to work and Harry was nowhere to be seen, which was to be expected. He was definitely with his family. But that meant that Sean was alone and he couldn't say why but that didn't feel like a good idea to him right now.

Gloomily, he brought his suitcase upstairs and threw his clothes back into his closet and his drawer. He left the rest of his other belongings lying on the bed and left his room again to meet up with Bailey. They had agreed to meet up when he was settled back in. That conversation was definitely not going to be a pleasant one but it had to be done. Something wasn't right with them and Bailey deserved better than to be lied to, whatever that meant for them. It definitely implied a break-up but Sean hoped they could remain friends somehow, someday. He didn't wanna lose her completely.

"Oh. Hi, Sean. Are you in a rush?".

As lost in thoughts as he was, he almost didn't hear the voice and didn't see his friend Ari when he got out of the elevator again. He stopped in his tracks before crashing right into her and looked up at her, seeing Àmbar by her side. "Hey, Ari. Sorry, I didn't see you".

"I noticed that. Are you in a hurry? You look a bit stressed" Aria eyed him worriedly.

"No hurry. I'm just meeting up with Bailey in a bit" Sean buried his hands in the pockets of his pants, feeling uneasy now.

"And that has you all stressed? What's wrong, Sean?" Aria asked with a frown on her face. He really had the best of friends.

"This is gonna be a break-up conversation and those never end well and I don't wanna hurt her" Sean bit the inside of his cheek.

"Oh. Why are you breaking up with her? You don't look happy with your decision" Àmbar checked puzzled.

"I'm fine with my decision because it's the right thing to do but it doesn't make me happy to potentially hurt her. She's too important to me" Sean sighed out heavily. "Maybe she feels the same".

"Is that possible?" Aria hooked hesitantly. "I mean, could there be a chance that she knows what's about to happen?".

"I think so. She's smart. I'm pretty sure she knows. Or at least, I hope so because it would make me feel better ...".

"Why are you breaking up?" Àmbar asked again softly.

"We don't want the same things for our future and I only realised this recently. She wants kids and marriage and I don't really see myself ever getting married or having kids. Not of my own and this isn't fair to her. She shouldn't sacrifice her dreams for me and I shouldn't feel obliged to give her all that if I don't want it" Sean opened up to them in the entrance area of their building.