Chapter 8: Cupcakes and Sharks

Sarah

I push open the door and I let Maura walk into the house first, she's holding Abbie at the moment. I have her suitcase in hand and lug it behind me as I follow her.

"Mum!" Niall appears from the kitchen. "You're here!"

"Gammy!" Parker scurries into Maura' s arms before Niall could.

"Parker!" She embraces her eldest granddaughter tightly.

Niall takes Abbie from his mum and disappears with her into the kitchen. I heard Lukas' crying from the family room, so I hurried to set the suitcase down by the door and get him to feed him. I have a blanket covering him as Maura is sitting on the other side of the couch, Parker and Abbie in between us all over her.

Niall ices the last of the chocolate cup cakes before arranging them on a cake stand. I'm quite surprised he put them on without smudging the frosting much at all.

Parker hops up off the couch and grips the edge of the counter top, staring up at the cupcakes, impatiently. "I want one!" she jumps up and down.

Abbie waddles over, "Hungee!"

"You're hungry, Abs?" Niall scoops her up.

"Me too!" Parker chimes in.

"You're hungry, Parker?" he smiles down at her.

She beams, "Mhm."

"Go sit at the table so we could eat these," he takes the two of them to the kitchen table.

I'm about to protest, but stop myself. Whatever, I'm tired and I just need a cupcake and go to bed. I've been up since 5:30 and a little boy of mine kept waking up in the middle of the night and I've been running around all day. I just want to eat and sleep. But I do know that I need to stay awake to keep Maura company and the girls occupied.

I finish up with Lukey and lend him over to Maura before deciding to do laundry before going to bed. The laundry room is just down the hall, a little passed the kitchen. I switch loads and start both washer and dryer. I hoist the laundry basket and carry it towards the living room where everyone is.

"Swimming time!" Parker squeals, jumping up and down.

I raise an eyebrow, "Did I miss something?"

"Oh..." Niall ran a hand through his hair. "I was thinking that we could go to the pool or something?"

"Oh yeah sure," I agree with a simple nod.

I take the girls up stairs to change them into their swimsuits. Parker's is a yellow and white one piece with a couple ruffles. Abigail wears an aqua colored one piece with gold polka dots scattered all around it.