Chapter 34: You Can Count on Change

SARAH

I somehow muster the energy to make french toast the following morning after we have arrived home from Bora Bora. As I flip over the last three pieces of bread on the PAM sprayed griddle. I have Lukas in his high chair squealing while he plays with his plastic dinosaurs. Abbie is still in bed while Parker and Niall are on the couch watching Spongebob.

"Dad," I call my husband for the third time in the last minute. "Please keep an eye on the bacon."

He finally gets himself to his feet and jogs over to the stove where I'm mending to the scrambled eggs. "Mmm," a soft smile forms on his lips. "We're feasting this mornin'."

"Yeah, we are," I giggle, lightly sprinkling some salt and pepper in the pan. 

I turn my attention back to the griddle before quickly transferring the contents onto a plate that's already filling up with other pieces of french toast. Niall pours the scrambled eggs onto a clean, separate plate before setting it on the island to be served on our breakfast plates. 

"Thanks, babe," I smile up at him while I do the same with the plate of toast. 

He fixes up the sizzling bacon and within five or ten minutes, Parker and Abbie are seated at the table scarfing their food down. Niall and I join them while Lukas is sipping his milk and eating bits of french toast. 

"YUMM" Abbie grins before taking another bite of breakfast. 

Niall chuckles, "Parker, slow down, you're eating more than me!!"

"It's so good! I can't stOP!!" she hollers slamming her fists down on the table and laughing.

Abbie starts squealing in laughter as well, the excitement appears to be contagious. I smile as I put my dirty dishes in the sink and take a messy Lukas out of the high chair. I take him upstairs, laughing and smiling as I go. I holler down the staircase, "Remember to take care of your place setting, girls!"

I wash Lukas off in the bathtub before drying him off and strapping a diaper on. I let him waddle around, not really caring to put actual clothes on him at the moment. We're not going anywhere or doing anything today anyway, so I don't see the point in getting him dressed.

"Abbie, put your shirt back on," I hear Niall's laugh become louder as they approach the bathroom.

"Time to get dressed, girls," I tell them as Abbie and Parker cling to my legs.

The two of them giggle and run away to their bedrooms. Niall follows Lukas to our bedroom, probably to do some work on the computer real quick. I go visit Abbie's room first to make sure she's finding an outfit and not playing with her toys. She has a pair of leggings on her bed and she's digging through her dresser for a t-shirt. I kiss her head and thank her for doing what I asked of her before leaving to go check on Parks. 

I find her sitting on her bed with a few stuffed animals and talking to them. "Parker, tell them bye-bye for now so you can get dressed," I softly interrupt her. 

"I don't wanna get dressed right now," she looks up to me with her big blue eyes. 

I pat her head, "You can either get dressed or go brush your teeth."

"Get dressed," she makes her choice, opening her closet door. "I want to wear that." She's pointing to a nude pink top. 

I smile as I grab it off its hanger, "Here, wear some leggings or jeans."

"Jeans," she pulls her dresser drawer open. "they're pretty."

"Okay, I'm gonna go get dressed, too. After you're all done in here, make sure to brush your teeth and comb your hair."