29

Alex

a month has came and went, recently I have noticed my daughter withdrawing from me, keeping her distance, at first I found it odd, but now that it's been happening numerous times, I felt disgruntled with her actions.

I had wondered if it was anything to do with me.. but the thought itself was erased when she flinched.

"sorry dad." olivia responds not making eye contact with me, "sweetheart? is something bothering you?" i inquire as i gestured her to take a seat on the sofa.

i observed how she fiddled with her thumbs and playing at the hem of her shirt, "no.. nothing is wrong" she trails off trying to convince me.

"darling. i may be old, but i'm not stupid, you have a telltale sign when you are lying" i reasoned with her, and her eyes shot up to mine, almost as if she was on the brims of tears.

"sweetie.." i say, i didnt approach her or do anything that would bring her any discomfort.

my daughter starts to hang her head low, not daring to look my way, and i saw she was stifling her cries, nonetheless I noticed the tears falling.

"talk to me please. is it me?" i ask, but she was quick to say no,

i wish she'd talk to me, and tell me what is wrong but I know it's wrong of me to pry.

i swear to god, if it has anything to do with her brother I felt myself clenching my hands into a fist.

i stood up and started making my way to grabbing tissues, then my daughter latches herself to me as she buries her face in my chest.

"baby, what's wrong?" just out of habit I rub her back in circular motions, "h-he touched me.." she stammers and the last part was in an inaudible whisper however I was able to catch what she said.

my eyes constricted, and I felt my entire being ready to commit mass genocide.

"...daddy" her cries began to get more violent, and i kept on giving her kisses to her forehead, then I removed her from my latch as i caress her cheeks, wiping away the tears.

"..baby where did he touch you." i say trying to keep myself in check and not lose control, especially right now, she's fragile and vulnerable

there was a brief silence, where she didn't cry and she just looked away in shame, "I'll wait until you're ready. in the meantime, where do you want to go for dinner?" i questioned, "can we go to boucherie union square.."

"anything you want princess" giving her a kiss to her temple, and so I went to get changed and into a more formal attire.

i just keep thinking about what she told me, i was afraid as a father that the unspeakable had been done to her, and I couldn't wrap my head, around the fact it was her own brother.

i didn't understand, how one can disguise themselves so well, and turns out they are the true monsters.

here I believed I was the only monster, but I'd never compare myself to her brother.

we made it to the restaurant, and as always olivia looks lovely.

"i can't believe you're 16." i mention as we get escorted to a table for two.

"and I can't believe your 35..." my daughter stated as I give her a playful glare.

i always  am attentive to my daughter, and her needs, then of course I observe how boys stare at her then women looking at me.

we got our food, then olivia excuses herself as she goes to use the restroom.

Olivia