Chapter 13- Apology Present

Micah's pov

If there's a more annoying sound than an alarm clock going off, I've yet to hear it.

Part of me is considering packing up my mate, and our bathing suits, and just heading somewhere tropical for the next month. I can trust Azariah and Jace to take care of this shitstorm we're in,  can't I?

Amber rolls over and reaches across me to shut the damn thing off. With her head under my chin, she nips at my neck, making sure I'm awake.

"Is it just me, or did we only get into bed like an hour ago?" I groan.

"It was six hours ago." She clarifies. "But ya, I hear what you're saying." She pushes herself up, then frowns when I try and pull her back down.

"I'll make you a deal, I'll prepare you breakfast in bed, if you call in sick for me," I offer her.

"Sure, I'm happy to comply. Just out of curiosity, who exactly is it that I call?"

"Good question," I leap out of bed, pull on a pair of athletic shorts, and head towards the door, "Try Azariah."

On my way to the kitchen, I find my mom and Henley sitting at the dining room table having breakfast. I approach my mom and pull her into a hug from behind.

"Any news on dad?" I ask while placing a kiss on the top of her head.

"Same as yesterday. The Doctor says no change is a good thing. It means his body is taking the time it needs to heal." Her optimistic words and her eyes tell two different stories though.

For the first time in my entire life, I could see that my own mother was terrified. Terrified that he wasn't going to wake up once they took him out of the medically induced coma. Or maybe she was terrified that he would and that he'd be enraged about the loss of one of his legs. His arm was currently still attached, but Dr. Zucca said he'd be lucky to have ten percent mobility in it.

So ya, he might as well of lost that too.

"I have an important meeting this morning about the incoming of extra manpower Malcomb is bringing in, but maybe I can stop by the medical facility afterward." I take a seat beside her as Marie brings me some coffee.

"Nonsense, you have enough on your plate right now. Besides, he's not going anywhere, and it's not like he's aware if your there to see him or not," She tells me.

"Yeah, but I'm aware," I mutter as she shushes me.

"Is there anything I can do to help out?" Henley questions me. I notice her eyes have dark circles under them, and the rest of her face is pale. She's been with our mother for the last three days, watching over our father. I'm guessing she needs a change of scenery.

Before I can come up with something for her to do, Amber answers her. "I'm going back to the lab today, I could use all the help I can get," She sits next to Henley, and gives her a warm smile.

Henley quickly agrees, then runs up to her room to get ready. My mom finishes her food, then heads out, leaving Amber and I to eat alone.

"Azariah said she has no problem doing her job and yours, while she maintains a household and raises three pups." Amber snickers as she tells me this.