Chapter 31- Down Under

Azariah's pov

Someone once said, 'You never know what's enough, until you find out what's too much'. I've never felt that more than I do in my current state.

It should have been enough that we found this damn tunnel. We could have marked the spot and came back at a later time. Maybe brought some supplies to hide in it, like a flashlight, some rope, weapons, and snacks would be a good idea too. In case someone were to get trapped in here.

Oh, that's right! I already was. With no snacks, I'd like to add.

Why did I think it was a smart idea to investigate where this damn thing led to? There were only four cabins out back of the boot camp. Was it really that important to know which one this tunnel was connected with? In my current situation, I'm gonna go with a big old hell no.

When the cave in happened, it collapsed so fast that I didn't even have a chance to get out of the way. A few sprinkles of dirt fell into the fur on Ari's back, and within a second, what felt like an entire football field of dirt followed.

More than just dirt fell on us, you know.

Oh, I'm fully aware, but the dirt was the most concerning part of this for me. It had us flattened like a damn pancake at the moment. It was literally covering every inch of Ari's body, including being up her nose. Now, as long as she keeps her mouth shut, we won't have to taste it.

Thanks for the advice. How about you try coming up with a plan on how we get our fat ass out of here.

Ari tries moving her legs to see if she can somewhat dig us out, but the weight baring down on us was too great to even move so much as a toe. I'm actually surprised that it didn't crush her lungs, effectively suffocating us upon impact.

The one thing I am absolutely certain of is that our oxygen was going to run out within a minute or two. There wasn't exactly an overabundance of it in the first place. The further into the tunnel Jess and I went, the heavier the air got. It was almost like trying to breathe in a sauna. I know there's plenty of people who can do that, I just don't happen to be one of them.

Ari tries blowing the air out of her nose to clear out the dirt, but the second she needs to drawl in another breath, right back in it went. So far, she wasn't freaking out, but it wouldn't be long before we got there. Being buried alive would do that to a person. Or wolf.

We can't wait for them to dig us out. We also can't move, so digging ourselves out is also out of the question.

We need to shift. I'm not sure how I know this, but I do. Ari reluctantly agrees but warns that the minute it happens, the dirt will fall further in around my body. If I can get my hands up at the exact moment I take back over, I might have a chance at covering my face and creating a pocket around my mouth.

She takes the shift slowly, focusing on our legs first. She has a theory that if we both concentrate hard enough, we could control each part of our shift, limb by limb. Maybe if we had years worth of experience shifting like Jace and Ehron, that might be possible. Unfortunately, her and I only have a handful of times under our belt to go on.

Focusing on my feet only, we start the grueling process of trying to bring back our human form one limb at a time. A quick burning sensation washes over my toes, then works its way up to my knees. The feeling doesn't last long and is replaced with the telltale tingling feeling that remains once we've shifted. The earth seems to move some more, and the dirt falls around my now human legs.