Chapter 50- The Keeper

Peryl’s pov
                  (Noah’s grandmother)

Knowing what your purpose is in life and being able to fulfill it was truly a blessing. 

I still had plenty of years left in me, and I was going to utilize each and every one of them. The way Noah treats me, you’d think I was seventy-nine, not fifty-nine. One of these days, I was going to show that grandpup of mine what I was made of. Not today, but one day.

Jace and Azariah’s house was beautiful, and from what I’ve been told, safer than a bank vault. Amora was lying on the couch, Noah and Ryan were sitting at the table with the three pups, and I was whipping up a little treat for them before we had to put the pups to bed. 

Matias was out putting some last minute things together, and the rest of the adults were getting some sleep before the big night ahead of them. 

Almost hourly, I send up a prayer to the Goddess for them all to return safely and eliminate this threat. Either way, it was up to me to record the outcome. Not many people knew that my family had been the keeper of the history books since the beginning of our race. Not anymore, that is. Once upon a time, many, many years ago, everyone knew. The problem with that, was many tried to encourage the keeper to write things the way they wanted, and not how it really happened. Encouraging soon turned into bribing, then ultimately threatening. One of my ancestors fooled everyone into thinking she burned all the books and washed her hands of the responsibility.

Of course, no such thing happened, but it did the trick. She was no longer hassled, and more importantly, she could record unbiased. 

Over the years, pack members started to branch out and create smaller packs of their own. They didn’t like that one Alpha ruled us all, so they took matters into their own hands. This made keeping accurate records difficult, so my family only documented the big events. Like pack rivalries, who the Alpha’s and Beta’s were, that sort of stuff. 

Keeping a contact in each pack grew harder and harder. There were a few packs that moved further south, to get as far away from the main pack as possible. These were the ones we lost over the years. Now, all I can record is what happens with the five main packs.

Moonwalker was the original pack Selena created. Back then it didn’t have a name, that came years later when the smaller packs were formed. As for the first ever Alpha, his bloodline remains strong. I have it on good authority that this information has been lost over the years. The Koyle’s were the first to rule over this race, and have done so with integrity since day one. Micah not be aware of this, but technically he was the king of wolves. Whether any other packs acknowledged or more importantly remembered this or not. 

They say time has a way of changing people, but from everything I’ve read, this isn’t true where the Koyle’s were concerned. The only thing time did was erase the knowledge of whom they really were. I’m not sure the exact time frame, but it was roughly two hundred years ago. 

The Moonwalker pack was constantly fighting battles from those who wanted power. Taking over the original pack was the focus of many for a very long time. So I guess it’s not surprising that this pack's origins were lost along the way. Who would want to continuously fight off the greed of others? This pack just wanted to live the way the Goddess intended. 

In peace and harmony.

Unfortunately that’s hard to do when others don’t share the same values. Maybe it was time for the Koyle’s to remember who they really were. Micah sure could use some confidence going into tonight's battle. Or perhaps I should take a page out of my ancestors book, and keep my mouth shut. I wish somewhere along the way a book was written specifically for us keepers. A book that tells us what to do when we’re faced with a life changing decision. Because if I did tell Micah, it would not only change his entire life, but this pack’s as well.