Chapter 20- The Council

Micah's pov

Eight thirty a.m., and here I sit, alone in the packs meeting room.

Day four of being the Alpha, and I can't even get control of those who are supposed to be my right-hand male and female. I've been accused a time or two of being too lenient. Now, I'm starting to wonder if that was true.

If my two jack ass best friends had a healthy amount of fear in regards to yours truly, their asses would have been in their seats well before the clock struck eight thirty.

The meeting we were supposed to have was the most important one yet. The time for us to decide how to free the ones up at the boot camp was now. As I lay in bed last night, I came to the conclusion that bargaining with Malcomb was out of the question.

So now we needed to figure out which other plan to use. Do we go up there and launch a fight from all sides of the place, or send someone in to free them from inside.

Eight thirty-five.

What in the actual fuck was going on? I double-checked my phone to make sure I didn't miss any calls or texts. Since becoming our packs Beta, Azariah hasn't been late for anything. Not even one single time. Of course, it's only been four days.

Maybe she was having trouble with the pups this morning. I've noticed that the more comfortable they get, the more trouble they cause. Luckily for me, I get to laugh at their antics since I'm just Uncle Micah. Hell, I can even encourage them to cause mischief. Not that I needed to. They seemed to be doing just fine without my help.

It must be hard for Jace and Azariah to balance their family and the war. How do they go home at the end of the day, put on smiles, and act like everything is normal? Yesterday, they saw four dead pack members lying on the side of the road, then had to go home and read Dr. Seuss bedtime stories.

Honestly, I don't know how they do it. Just the thought of having that responsibility during a time like this terrifies me. That's why I'm trying my best to go over each night and make things as normal as possible for them.

The meeting room door finally opens at eight forty-two.

Azariah comes rushing in first, dark curls flying behind her as she runs. "I'm sorry Micah, Amber asked me to come by to see her to discuss the Jace situation, and the twins messed up her lab, so we had to clean it, then I had to take them to Peryl to babysit, and then..."

"What Jace situation?" He asks her as he comes in just seconds after her. She spins around, surprised to see him standing there behind her.

Looking back and forth between them, I almost chuckle at how intensely they are staring at each other. Azariah has clamped her mouth shut, and Jace is trying to use his narrowed eyes to get an answer out of her.

Before I can even utter one single word, my mate also comes flying through the door, looking winded and frazzled. "I'm sorry, Micah. I'm sorry. I had a small break through in my research due to this one here," she points to Azariah, "bringing her mini demons to the lab this morning."

"Well, I'm glad all three of you could make it. Sorry for the inconvienent time of day," I say in mock annoyance.

It's laughable the way they all come and take their seats, looking like puppies who were just scolded. The only one fighting a grin was Amber, but she refused to make eye contact with me. She also happens to be the only one who wasn't scheduled to attend this meeting. That doesn't mean I can't jerk her chain a little over it.