Chapter 37- Face To Face

Amber's pov       

For the second time in the last hour, I enter my lab and greet Ryan. My annoyance must be written all over my face because he immediately asks me what the emergency was all about. Flopping myself in my chair, I explain that it was literally nothing. Well, that’s not entirely true. The fact that Kreed grew a few inches during the process of getting rid of Zane was definitely something.

Just not something that I had the energy to try and figure out. My plate was already heaping full. Adding to it would only cause an avalanche. Can’t have that now, can we. Besides, after this war is over, there would be no need for me to keep or use the formula that I came up with. So investigating the why’s of how it works or doesn’t work is just a waste of time. 

My time.

We get back to separating the blood sample from the poison, to determine the concentration level that was in the drugged wolf. Poisoning of any kind was dangerous, if not fatal, to our kind, but there were things we could do to counteract it. Acting quickly would be key to surviving if one should consume this particular concoction Malcomb came up with. 

I fear that by the time I come up with a solution, this whole ordeal will be long over with. If I somehow manage to create it in time to be put into use, I’d have to sacrifice some of the epi pen style needles we got from Alpha Fenris. Right now, we had enough to supply the guards from ours, Ambersy and either Snowmoon or Bloodmoon packs. If I need to use some for counteracting a poisoning, then it would hardly leave enough for just our pack, let alone give any to the others.

“Can I ask you a question?” Ryan says from behind me. I spin in my chair to face him, and nod my head yes. “Do you think it’s possible to fertilize one of our kind eggs in a test tube, then grow it in a fake uterus? I’ve read stuff about humans doing something like this. Test tube babies I believe they’re called.”

“Well, probably. We’re pretty much born human until the Goddess pairs us with our wolf. As long as both of the donors were werewolves, then I think it would turn out the same.” I give him a sympathetic smile, “Are you asking because you want to have pups with Noah?”

“Being with Kian and Uriel last night made me realize what we’re going to miss out on. I never gave it much thought before, but I know now that I really want a family.” He confesses.

“You know, you two would have better chances of asking someone to borrow their uterus. Growing a pup in a test tube, as you put it, would pose a lot of risks. It could take anywhere from ten to a hundred tries before we get it right. I don’t think either one of you is prepared to deal with that level of constant heartbreak.” I try explaining this gently, but the hardened look on his face tells me I failed. 

“Using a surrogate is also a human trait. I’ve never heard of a werewolf doing this before.”  He quickly turns his back to me, and starts fiddling once again with the tests he was setting up. 

“I think you’d be surprised, Ryan.” I stand and stretch my back, putting both hands just above my ass. “Besides,” I groan, “You're too young to be thinking about a family. Live a little first, then when the time comes, I’m sure a solution will present itself.” 

Instead of answering me, he just makes a noise of agreement in the back of his throat. Part of me wants to try and reassure him, but then there’s a part of me that just doesn’t have the energy for soothing someone else’s feelings at the moment. My nerves were still going haywire after handing that needle over to Becky. Not that I would admit this out loud, but I took the cowards way out. Witnessing it twice was more than enough for one lifetime, I wasn’t looking to make it three.