Chapter 41- The Return Home

Kreed's pov

The very second we leave the meeting, Becky and I race back to our pack. Time was not on our side, and we had a lot of work to do. Especially me.

I was going to attempt to fool Malcomb that Zane was still aligned with him. Unfortunately, I was the unlucky asshole who had to play the part of Zane. I finally get rid of him, just to pretend that he's still around.

I suppose it's a small price to pay, everything considered. The Moon Goddess showed me the way, and now I was going to do everything in my power to repay her. That happens to be saving her race from a tyrant. The sooner I get this done, the sooner I can move on with my life.

Pulling up to the house, I grin at the new front door Becky had installed. My parents would shit themselves if they seen it. They were firm believers in white, or black. Ours was now currently a blue-green color with a ginormous multicolored wreath hanging from it.

"Jaxon must have done this." She tells me as we pull up. "I'm curious to see if he fixed anything on the inside that Jace broke."

Ah, that's right! Jace was the reason we needed the new door. Not that I'm mad about that. He did us all a huge favor. Becky didn't have to go track down Amber, and Zane didn't get the opportunity to run. Win win.

"We should send him the bill," My lame joke is met with her raised eyebrows. "I'm kidding." I guide her inside and close the door swiftly behind us. I wasn't ready for the onslaught of pack members to start just yet.

Becky stops just inside the kitchen and spins around to face me. "Be honest, is he really gone? I promise not to tell anyone if he isn't. We can run away somewhere and just live out our boring lives in the middle of nowhere."

"Shhh," I place a finger over her lips. "Yes, he's really gone. No need for us to start planning an escape." She lets out a sigh of relief, then lunges forward and grips me in a tight embrace.

"How do you feel? Are you okay?" She starts patting down my pack, and as she pulls away from me she tentatively touches my chest.

"It's hard to describe, but it feels weird. It's like I'm waiting for him to pipe up and be all, 'surprise, I'm back,' Even though I know it's not possible. The link between us was severed the second he died, leaving me alone in here." I rub my thumb up and down her forehead, trying to erase the tiny worry lines.

"Should we get the dreadful call out of the way? Jaxon has a meeting planned with the pack in about forty minutes." She reminds me.

The meeting itself was only for the adults, those who could make it. We figure there's gonna be around five to six hundred show up, waiting to see what I had to say. Speaking of which, I really didn't know what to say. Micah assured us it was okay to tell everyone about the formula Amber came up with, since some of them already knew anyways. Even with an explanation, I will still be met with a lot of skepticism. It felt like a tall tale, and I personally lived through it. I'm sure I'll be met with thousands of questions, and worried looks for many months to come. Everyone would be watching my every move, waiting for me to fuck up. The pressure has never been greater to lead this pack than now.

And of course, there was Becky. She was owed a peaceful life for all she's done, and I intend to give that to her. Somehow.

She passes me my phone after I grunt at her suggestion. I don't bother to waste my time dialing the landline up there, I go straight to his cell phone. I'm unsure if I called at a bad time, or if the prick deliberately let it ring five or six times just to jerk my chain.

"Zane, to what do I owe this surprise?" The snarky tone in which he answered tells me exactly where I stand with him.

"Cut the shit," I growl at him. If I was going to fool him, I needed to at least speak like Zane does. "I only have a few minutes before that bitch is back on my ass."