Chapter 26- Time's Up

Jace's pov

Driver, or passenger? Which one would distract me most? Driving would keep my hands busy, but I'd also have to focus on the road, so I didn't get myself or the passenger killed.

Now, if I were to be the passenger, then Micah got the pleasure of driving with an extremely hostile guest. With less than five steps to go, I need to make up my mind.

Opening the drivers side door, I jump up into my seat like I've done hundreds of times before. The leather upholstery had long been molded to my ass. Memory foam takes its job seriously.

"Move the fuck over," Micah snarls as he pushes my shoulder, sliding me over to the seat I didn't choose. "My responsibility is to get you there in one piece. Don't make this hard for me."

Funny how he thinks he has the hard job. I guess if I thought about this situation from his point of view, he just might. Would I really be able to sit on the sidelines, waiting for someone else to get the job done?

That would be a big old 'fuck no' for me.

I also happen to know that my beautiful, smart, and dangerous mate wouldn't be able to sit this one out either. She would try to, but after all of three minutes, she'd come charging in to save us. Nope, that wouldn't do. So yes, I may have sent her on a wild goosechase to distract her for the time being.

The odds of Amber being right this time, was probably less than one percent. So while she searched for something that didn't exist, I was going to save our pup, and then we'd all cuddle together on the couch tonight. I might even make popcorn.

There was no way I'd be able to save Xavier, and worry about Azari at the same time. Once she figures out what I did, I'm sure I'll be feeling her wrath. That's a problem for later on though. Right now, I had to figure out how to make it out of this exchange in one piece.

Micah leads the entourage, going at a decent speed down the road. Matias was in the vehicle behind us, with as many fighters as his car would hold. The three cars following him, were the same. I didn't take the time to count the exact number of guards, but it was more than what I personally felt we needed. That call wasn't mine however, it was Micah, Alek, and Matias who came up with the plan.

At the end of the day, they could plan all they wanted. The distance I would be from them, was to great for them come to my rescue. Not that I need anyone coming to my rescue, just to be clear. I had some Goddess given gifts, and I'd use everything at my disposal. Which mainly consisted of my hands.

"You're awfully quiet. Anything you wanna say?" Micah asks me. His eyes never leave the road, but I still feel them boring into my very being, like he was trying to read my emotions. He's always been able to do this, since I can remember.

When we were just little pups ourselves, Micah had the ability to sense when one of us was trying to hide something. Azariah was the one whose emotions always ran wild. One day she'd be bouncing with excitement, and the next moody as all fuck. Her temper has always been quick to rise, but at least now I know why. Her biological father was the God of War after all. We should probably count ourselves lucky that we made it through her teen years alive.

He always had the hardest time reading me. He would try, but most of the time he got it wrong. When I discovered that my feelings for Azari ran well beyond friendship, he thought I was just going through the moody puberty phase of my life. Eventually he caught on, but it took him years and years. Basically, unless I tell him what's going inside my head, he really only has assumptions.