Chapter 23- Brotherly Love

Xavier's pov

I don't know how it's possible to feel relieved and guilty at the same time, but that's exactly how I feel.

I'm relieved that I no longer have to worry about leaving my brother's alone. Any time I've left the house in the last few days, I didn't need to be concerned about how they were being treated. I knew for a fact that they were well fed, cared for, and for the first time, happy.

But I still feel guilty just the same. I had been going out daily to the training grounds either with Jace or Matias, and now, today, I got to spend time alone with Amora. I guess you could say it sorta feels like I'm abandoning them. Which is absolutely not the case, but it was nice to be able to go out and not have to stress about how they were being treated in my absence.

The trip to the city took just over an hour, but it didn't feel like it. The two males who were with us made the trip fun by playing 'I spy' with me. I got to enjoy the trip, sipping on chocolate milk, playing silly games, and taking in all the new sights.

This wasn't the reason I was excited to be here, though. The real one was that I had a plan of my own for the shopping we would be doing. Before my father turned into the horrible person he became after my brothers were born, there was a time that I received an allowance for doing certain chores. I may only have been four and five years old, but I still managed to get a few dollars a week for things like helping put away dishes or raking the yard, that sort of stuff.

At the time, I was saving every dollar I earned to buy myself a gaming console. My father never was one to spend unnecessary money, and he deemed a device to play video games extremely unnecessary.

Fast forward a year, and my goal drastically changed where my allowance was concerned. All the money I had saved I planned to buy my brothers a birthday present with. It was less than two weeks away, so when Amora asked if I wanted to come with her today to shop, I jumped on the chance. Lucky for me, the night we fled from our home, I grabbed the small zippered pouch I kept my money in. Otherwise, it would probably be lost for the foreseeable future.

Amora pulls the car into the parking lot of the biggest mall I've ever seen. Not that my parents took me off of our pack lands very often, but we did go into a nearby town or small city occasionally. Still, it was nothing compared to this one. The parking lot was filled with hundreds of cars, all frantically searching for a spot close to the main doors. We didn't waste our time with such games, Amora took a spot near the far back of the lot, and said we'd get inside faster than those still driving around waiting to snatch the perfect spot.

It could have taken us another hour of walking to get here, and I still wouldn't complain. I was far too excited to let anything spoil my mood. As we walked across the pavement, Amora kept ahold of my hand while the guards followed closely behind us. She didn't come right out and say they were guards, but I've overheard enough adult talk in the last few days to be able to figure this out on my own.

Little does my new family realize that my bedroom window faces the back of the house, and when they head out there to talk after we go to bed, I can hear them clear as day. I wasn't deliberatly trying to eavesdrop on them. However, their voices carried up to my room even with the window closed.

The person responsible for sending those bad wolves to our pack was still trying to hurt the rest of us. He wanted everyone to bow to him and let him rule us all. By the sounds of it, nobody was willing to let that happen. But until he was dealt with, anyone leaving the safety of our pack lands had to do so with trained fighters, or in other words, guards.