Chapter 52- Twists and Turns

Jace’s pov

When I was a young pup, my favorite movie was How The Grinch Stole Christmas. I could recite the entire thing by memory. My parents found it hilarious, and to this day they still buy me some kind of Grinch trinket for Christmas.

It wasn’t until I was in my teens that I wondered why we celebrate this particular holiday at all. The only things we should be celebrating were the moon cycles and Selena, the God of our race. 

Anyways, there’s this part of the movie where the Grinch figures out how to stop Christmas from coming, and he gets a wonderful, awful, idea. The top of his hair curls in, and the smile that splits his face used to make me laugh every single time.

As I stare out the windshield at the dumb fuck who’s waving that gun around, that’s exactly what happens. I got a wonderful, awful, idea. And it was either going to work like a charm, or blow up in my face.

Micah’s hand reaches for the gear shifter, but I stop him. “We can’t run. What we can do, is show these asshats that they fucked with the wrong wolves today.”

“I heard what you said Jace. If you get out you die. Now look at them, they have nothing to lose. You should know better than anyone that they’ll go to any lengths to get their pups back. “ 

A bittersweet chuckle comes out before I mask it with a cough. “Yes I know why they’re doing this. That’s why I’m going to let them live. There’s six of them, and thirty five of us. Now let’s get this over with.”

My door swings open with force, and I let my feet hit the pavement with a loud thud. Since Calvin can’t point his weapon at both me and Micah, he chooses me. Smart choice. “Hands up asshole,” He yells at me. 

Crossing my arms over my chest, I stare him straight in the eye and slowly shake my head no. “Are you trying to find out if you're bullet proof or some shit?” He takes a few steps towards me, and lifts the gun to aim at my face. 

“Your pack knew about this before our pups were taken up there and sacrificed. You could have stopped them, but instead you hid in your stupid tree stands and waited for them to make the first move. It only seems fitting that we get to trade your sorry asses for our pups back.” Calvin laughs. 

I keep my eyes trained on Calvin, but I take notice that Micah walked over and joined Finn and Kreed. The three of them are looking at me, probably waiting to see if I’ll make the first move. They make subtle head movements to indicate they’re aware of where the rest of the armed males were standing. What Micah said in the truck puzzled me as well. How did these six idiots get the drop on everyone else?

Shit shit shit! I almost forgot that my mate was walking straight into a trap. “Adler, you there?” 

Of course, what’s up?

“Malcomb knows we’re coming. Shift back and get the team out of there.”

You got great timing. Another few minutes and we’d be fucked. 

“So what’s the plan after you trade us?” I ask him. His lips open and he pauses long enough for me to know that they didn’t think about the aftermath. They were short sighted in this rescue plan of theirs. 

“That’s none of your business,” He finally sputters at me. 

For someone who was probably twice my age, he certainly wasn’t wise. The dark circles under his eyes is a dead give away that he hasn’t slept in days, and likely doesn’t have the ability to think straight either. It’s ironic that he has a gun trained on my nose, and here I was feeling sorry for him. He was desperate. Hell, they were all desperate. Mine and Azariah’s plan to leave this pack out of the rescue mission was a smart thought. Too bad we didn’t follow through.