Chapter 38- Extra Measures

Micah’s pov

As a child, the building I’m currently standing in front of seemed way bigger. It was wider, taller, and the letters that were hung above the main door felt like they were so far up in the sky, the Moon Goddess herself must have put them there.

The building felt larger than life.

Over the years, we’ve done lots of renovating, including replacing some of the older, rotting wood. My father and I had talked about having a new office building constructed closer to the center of town, but that’s all we did on the matter. Talked. 

The original buildings in our town were made from wood, and most had the flat roofs that were common for the era they were built in. Since we moved up here, we’ve added plenty of our own, also mainly made from wood. We just built ours with better foundations, roofs, and beautiful angels instead of the generic cereal box style that had no creativity. 

Now, as I stand before the office building, like I have many times before, I can’t bring myself to move my feet and enter through that door. It feels foreign to me, creepy even. I’m fully aware that it has everything to do with the fact that my father’s office was about fifty feet away once you got inside. No part of me was ready to enter that room, and see his things that were carefully placed around the room. The pictures on his desk, the drawer full of candy that he thought nobody knew about, hell, even the cactuses that were sitting in the window sill. What I really wanted to do was turn around and run in the other direction. Unfortunately, I don’t have the luxury of doing that. I have a meeting to prepare for.

I should never have told Jace to just meet me here. With him beside me, I wouldn’t be able to plant my feet firmly in place and refuse to carry on. Damn it, this way of thinking was just plain selfish. He went to check in on Amora once we left the basement of the medical facility. Matias was up there as well, and Jace, being the good son-in-law that he was, went in for a quick visit.

Azariah ran out to go help my mate deal with Malcomb, and now that left me alone to stew in my own thoughts. Thoughts about how my father passed away less than twelve hours ago, and now here I stood, literally trying to fill his shoes.

I pick up on Noah’s scent long before he rounds the corner and comes walking up to me. “Micah, oops I mean Alpha Micah”.

“Knock it off Noah.” He knew I hated my personal friends and family referring to me that way, and I swear he does it just to get on my nerves.

“Sorry. Jace texted me and said that you might have a job for me that actually pays. Unlike my babysitting gig.” He stops right beside me, not bothering to ask why I was just standing here, lost in my own thoughts.

“He did?”

“Something about you needing a new secretary. I prefer the term assistant, but whichever one pays better, that’s what I’ll go with.” He grins mischievously at me. It takes me a minute to comprehend what he was trying to say. “He said that you're answering all the calls sent to the office on your cell phone, and it’s taking up a lot of your time.”

“Right. Yes, now I remember.” I chuckle. If I had looked confused for much longer, the poor thing would have thought Jace was pulling a fast one on him.

“I just want to point out that I can transfer the calls to my cell phone, that way I can still keep my side job following Jace around for you.” Noah’s eyes glitter with humor, letting me know that he hasn’t had enough of harassing my best friend.

“That sounds great to me. Do you know how to send an email? Check voice messages? Keep proper documentation of all calls, and make a priority list for me?” After each question, he slowly nods his head yes, while his eyes grow wider and wider.