"Who's your favourite player?"

I looked at my watch and took a deep breath. 16:45. 15 minutes left of my 12 hour shift. I was a paediatric oncology nurse. As much as I loved my shift it broke my heart how many little children were facing this horrible disease. I had a quick drink before putting a smile on my face to do my last rounds before I left. I walked into a room where an 7 year old boy laid with his parents by his side. "Hey Tommy, I'll be going home in a few minutes is there anything I can get you??" I asked in a gentle voice. He looked away from his tablet he was watching before looking sad. "But nurse Molly your my favourite do you have to go?" He said quietly. It filled my heart with both happiness and sadness. "Im afraid so Tommy, i will be here tomorrow tho and I will make sure you are the first person I come and see yea?" I asked at him making his eyes perk up. He nodded before asking, "nurse molly will you watch my favourite football team play with me when they next play??" "What's your favourite team?" I asked. "Chelsea obviously, do you like football?" He replied happily. I nodded, "I'm a Chelsea fan as well Tommy, who's your favourite player??" I asked sitting down on the edge of his bed knowing my shift would have finished. "Mason mount, I want to be just like him." "Mmh good choice." I whispered. I smiled at the thought of my boyfriend. I had known mason from school and we had been dating for 6 years now. I snapped myself from thinking about my boyfriend before looking back at Tommy with an idea. "I have a surprise for you tomorrow but I really need to go now is that okay? I have a boyfriend to go and feed."
I say earning a laugh from tommys mum. I gave Tommy a hug before leaving and getting my stuff before going home. I shut my car door and got my stuff out before walking towards the front door where my boyfriend was stood. "Hey baby, good shift?" He asked me as he brought me into a hug. I snuggled in closed to him enjoying the warmth he was giving me. I nodded before pulling away and pressing a kiss to his lips. "I actually have a favour to ask." I said slowly. Mason looked at me confused before nodding. "So there is this little boy at work he's 7 and he's a massive chelsea fan and your his favourite." I took a deep breath before starting my next sentence. "He's really ill Mase. The doctors don't think he has long left but today he told me he wants to be like you and it broke my heart because I know he probably will never be able to." Mason whipped my tears from my face. "What can I do??" He whispered. "Will you come to work and see him?" I said as he pulled me on his lap. He was silent and I could tell he was thinking. "Of course I can baby, let me make a few calls and it will all be sorted. Don't you worry mols I can sort this." I smiled before wrapping my arms round his neck. "Thank you Mase it means a lot."
The next morning I got up and got ready whilst watching Mase rush around. "What have you got planned?" I asked him as he wrapped his arms around my waist. "Nothing for you to worry about. I should be there by 12 latest okay? I still have some things to finish." Mason said before pressing a kiss to my temple. I nod trusting him.
I looked at my watch 12:00. Mase should be here soon. I picked up my phone seeing a call from Mase. "Hey Mase what's up?" I asked sitting down on a chair in the staff room for a few minutes. "Nothing ups baby, just wanted to tell you we will be there in 5 so can you come out to meet us?" He asked. "We?" I asked confused. He laughed, "yea we. So will you?" He asked again. "Yea of course I will head out now." I say before putting the phone down. What had he done? I waited outside for two minutes before I heard mason call my name. I looked up to be met with mason, Ben, Kai, Reece and Christian who were all holding bags of what looked like different merch. I felt like crying, "you did this for me?" I asked mason as I looked up to him before wrapping my arms around him. "Of course. I know how much this means to you. I organised it with the ward. We have enough stuff for all the children here who like football." I was actually crying this time. Seeing him put so much effort in. "And Tommy I asked about him. I got him tickets for the next game, I spoke to his parents and they love the idea but I said you would go and I'm sorry I didn't ask.." he started before I cut him off by kissing him. "Of course that is okay. Thank you." We started walking into the ward holding hands before the boys went to the different patients. It made my day seeing these sick children so happy. I had 45 minutes left on my shift and the boys had met everyone apart from Tommy. But I had a plan. "So Kai, Ben Reece and Christian I will take you in there first and then I will say my boyfriend has called and then i will come get mason is that good?" The boys nodded following me in. "Hey Tommy, I got a few visitors for you." I say breaking him out of his trance of his video on his tablet. He gasped seeing the boys stood behind me. "Omg nurse molly they play for Chelsea!!" He shouted. I laughed and accepted the hug he gave me. I watched as the boys spoke to him before deciding to finally get mason. "I'll be back in a sec Tommy. My boyfriend just got here i will go get him." Tommy barely nodded to busy talking to Ben about the colour of his new boots. I walked outside to Mase grabbed his hand before bringing him inside. "Hey mate." Mason said making Tommy snap his head to us. He suddenly burst into tears making mason rush over to him. "Hey its okay it's only me don't cry." He said as he pulled him gently into a hug. "Your my favourite." Tommy whispered not letting go of mason. I saw masons face light up into a smile. "Aww thank you buddy. I actually have a surprise for you." Tommy pulled away from him looking confused. "I got you tickets for our next game, your going to walk out the tunnel with me and then sit on the subs bench. Your dad and nurse molly are going to come with you. Is that okay with you?" Mason asked. This time Tommy started sobbing whilst nodding. "Yes please mason." He said. After that they started talking before Tommy looked at me suddenly. "Wait nurse molly you said your boyfriend was here so does that mean your dating mason mount??" He asked me. I blushed as mason grabbed my hand and kissed it. "She certainly is buddy." Tommy gasped, "and you didn't tell me?" I laughed, "sorry Tommy." Before we left we organised the game and then I gave one last hug to Tommy. "Thank you so much nurse molly." He whispered as we hugged. I felt tears rush to my eyes. "Your so welcome Tommy." Mason grabbed hold of my hand as we left, "thank you Mase." I said as I looked up to him pulling him into a kiss. "Your welcome baby anytime."

Instagram
@MasonMount

RIP Tommy I'm so lucky I got to meet you, such a wonderful boy who had so many dreams

RIP Tommy I'm so lucky I got to meet you, such a wonderful boy who had so many dreams. I'm so sorry you couldn't achieve them. I will live for you 💙