Sick days

"Daddy" I hear my daughter say quietly on the other side of the room. "What's up baby?" I hear my boyfriend of 2 years say. "I've been sick." I hear my daughter reply. "Aww baby come here." Mason says as he lifts her on the bed to hug her closer. "Daddy will look after you." I open my eyes to see him cuddling her whilst she falls back asleep. My heart swells at the sight. I had met mason when Rory was 9 months old, I had met his sister at a mother support group and he had picked her up one day. We had instantly clicked, I mean it's hard not to when he looked perfect like he does. I had denied going out with him for a while as I was scared. What 23 year old man wants to be a stepdad to some girl that isn't his. In the end I couldn't resist and agreed to go on one date and the rest is history. The day I had introduced mason to Rory she was 1 and the love mason had in his eyes was all I needed to reassure me he was the perfect guy. Rory was a daddy's girl even though mason wasn't her dad. He was truly the best dad a girl could want. We all fall asleep again in the same bed just hugging each other.
I slowly wake up and look around me to see the bed empty. I soon hear my daughter giggling downstairs so I go to find what mason was doing. As I walk downstairs I hear the faint music of moana playing, Rory's favourite. As I get to the doorway I look inside to see mason dancing my daughter around and her laughing her head off. My heart explodes and I see their smiles. He was the love of my life there was no doubt about it. "Mummy!" My daughter shouts gaining my attention. "Hey bub" I say holding my arms out wanting a hug. "Daddy has been dancing with me!" She cheers looking at mason who was blushing slightly. "I saw, isn't he the best?" I ask Rory who instantly clapped and said yes. I put Rory down so she could dancing before walking to mason who held his arms out for a hug. "You are the best dad Mase." I say to him. He squeezed me tighter, "you are the best mum and I love my girls so much." He says making me blush. "I can't wait to marry you and have more of our kids." He whispers before kissing my forehead and continuing to dance with Rory. Safe to say she was feeling better after some quality time with her dad.