023

I wrap my hand around ambers shoulder, cuddling her into me, placing my chin on top of her head watching the stars, gazing towards the moon

I hear the sound of a phone ringing and search through the piles of blankets in search for where the ringing is coming from. I finally find the source of the noise, I answer the call from Ambers phone knowing she would want me to make sure her mum was ok. 

"Hello is this Amber Asha?" The women speaks in a posh accent.

"No but she's ok with me taking the call to make sure her mothers alright" The women on the over side of the phone sighs in response.

"Are you sure she doesn't want to take the phone?" Her now sad tone fills me with confusion, her mum had to be ok, I was sure of it.

"No she's fine with me having the phone" She lets out another sigh.

"Sadly Ambers mother didn't make it, she lost to much blood, and there wasn't enough time to save her, I'm so sorry for your loss." The women's voice eventually dies out as I put the phone down, I didn't even know the women, but all the pain I was feeling was for Amber, she was going to be completely heartbroken, its going to break her if she finds out her mothers dead.

I've lost loved ones before and it's one of the worst feelings, your heart shattered, the feeling of extreme loneliness, the feeling that its all your fault, that if you did something different they wouldn't have died, that feeling it breaks a person. And that feeling takes a long time to go away. 

I hadn't long last my own father and even if I don't show it, it breaks me, I loved him, and he was my world he was the man I looked up to my whole life. Amber losing her mother is going to stick with her for the rest of her life, you can never replace the love of a parent no matter how much they were or weren't there.

And its going to break me when I have to be the one to tell her, to see the tears stream down her face, to watch her heart crumble to pieces in her hands.

I place ambers phone down next to her and wait silently for her to wake up, even if I don't want her to know about her mother dying, she has to, and I wish that I could scoop all her pain up and take it for myself so she would never have to feel anything  but happiness and joy for the rest of her life, but I cant do that, so I have to try comfort her best I can.

My eyes open slightly, wincing at the bright morning sun, as I spot Amber walking around the field picking up the rubbish from all of our McDonalds, it must've blew away when we were both asleep.

I lift myself up, using my shoulders as some sort of support for my weight, my hair drooping in front of my eyes, slightly blocking the sun, luckily. 

"morning" Amber shouts, jumping in the boot of the car besides me her face filled with joy, god why do I have to do this now.