39: Hostage

Note: this is a fantasy AU, and I've written it as though quirks don't exist!

Quirk: none

 It was a warm summers night and I couldn't get to sleep, so instead I decided to stand on my large balcony in the palace and watch the stars. I was the princess of the kingdom, my father the king. Recently the king had seemed very short-tempered, and it was obvious that there was some sort of political crisis but he refused to tell me what it was, and had ordered mother not to tell me either. I had told him that if I was to rule the kingdom one day that I needed to learn such things, but he still refused to tell me.

I sighed, looking at the twinkling stars above me when suddenly something caught my eye. It was only for a second, but I thought I saw something moving. A shadow was flying high across the sky, and I saw whatever it was land just beyond the castle gardens. After a moment I convinced myself that I was just seeing things, that was until I noticed one of our guards walking around the gardens carrying a flame lit torch. I stiffened when I saw him being pulled behind one of the large, sculpted bushes.

That was when I spotted four dark figures silently running up to the castle. Panic hit me as I ran back into my room, grabbing my robe to cover my long night gown. I headed for the door of my quarters which led to the rest of the palace, knowing I needed to find a guard and fast.

When I left my quarters I looked around, surprised to see there were no guards in the corridors like there usually was. Carefully I stepped out into the corridor, trying not to make a sound in fear of the four intruders having already made their way into the palace. Unfortunately for me however, at the end of the corridor I was walking down, one of the four appeared.

They were wearing dark clothes, a hooded cloak wrapped around their body. I turned to run in the other direction, however I crashed right into another one of the mysterious men. They grabbed me roughly and I tried struggling against his grip but he was strong. Just as I was about to yell for help one of the gagged me.

I attempted to fight back, making it as awkward for them as possible by wriggling. I growled through the rag they had gagged me with but they held me tightly as thick rope was wrapped around my wrists and ankles. I was then hauled onto the shoulder of their biggest guy, and they headed towards an exit from the palace. I refused to stop making it difficult for them. I wasn't going to let four random strangers take me off in the middle of the night, but unfortunately my attempts were getting me nowhere. It seemed as though my disappearance wouldn't be noted until morning.

"Quit struggling," one of the men growled, throwing me to the ground roughly, the soil dirtying my night gown. "Give it her," he said to another one of the men who pulled out a rag and a vial of liquid. Fear spread through my body as I tried to crawl away but they grabbed me and placed the rag in front of my mouth, a funny smell on it causing my eyesight to go fuzzy and my brain to black out.

- Timeskip -

I shot awake thinking about what I had just dreamt. I had never had a dream that had felt so realistic before, but then something caught my attention. 'My bedsheets aren't usually this scratchy,' I though and realised then that I was not in my room at the palace at all. I was in a large oak bed with rough sheets, in a room with a high ceiling and stone walls. There were sconces decorating the walls and pelts covering the cold-looking floor.

Quickly I clambered out of the bed, panic running through my body. I shivered as my bare-feet touched the cold floor, but I still ran to the large oak door and pulled it open. Carefully I peeked out and saw two men at the end of the corridor carrying spears, both chatting to each other. As quietly as I could I crept out of the room whilst they were distracted and tried to run down to the opposite end of the corridor, however they spotted me. "Hey, she's awake!" They cried and their loud footsteps indicated that they were running after me. I ran as fast as I could, not knowing where I was going but desperate to find an exit. "Slow down!" The men shouted but I refused to stop. I picked up the skirt of my nightgown so I could run even faster, but as I turned a corner I ran straight into someone and was knocked to the floor.