Chapter 3

Chapter 3

Emilia and Gloria walked together out of the room, Gloria a step ahead of Emilia.

As they went, Emilia glanced to the side, askance to Gloria, before looking ahead again.

'So, what do you think of this school?' Gloria asked.

'Oh, um...well maybe it's a little too soon to tell, but it seems really nice so far.'

'It's just a shame you had a bad experience so soon with...well....' Gloria shook her head. 'We won't talk about her; I still find it very funny what you did though.'

Gloria lifted her hand to her mouth, trying to hide her smile.

Emilia watched her closely as she did this.

No, don't hide it, your smile is beautiful.

'So, I guess we'll be room-mates then' Emilia said.

'Yeah, I think it's cool.'

Oh my god she's so cute!

'So, tell me a little about yourself' Gloria said.

Eeek!

'Well...' Emilia thought, speaking casually. 'What would you like to know?'

Oh my god is she interested in me?!

'Where were you originally from? Were you born here?'

'I....no, I was actually born in Sweden. I lived in America for a while before coming here.'

'Oh wow' Gloria glanced around; eyes bright. 'You've been all over the world.'

'Well...not over the entire world' Emilia chuckled awkwardly, scratching the back of her head. 'It would be cool to travel to a few other places someday.'

They reached the end of the corridor, coming to the stairs. Gloria slowed a little so they could walk side by side now down it.

'Can you speak any Swedish?' Gloria asked.

'Varför jag faktiskt kan.'

'Oh wow, that's so cool.'

Oh my god she thinks I'm cool!

'It's ok I guess' Emilia mumbled.

Gloria smiled sweetly.

Oh my god I love her smile so much I hope I don't get so distracted I fall down these stairs aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh she's so amazing!!!!!!

'I wish I could speak German' Gloria said. 'I've always wanted to learn a language and I've always thought German was pretty cool.'

'Yeah, it is I guess.'

'So where were you before you came here? I mean...what school did you go to before this?'

Oh my god, I think she's genuinely interested in me!

'Oh, my last school was a total opposite of this' Emilia said dramatically, talking with her hands. 'I was teased a lot, things turned physical.... for a short time.... until I kicked some asses.'

Gloria giggled.

'Then after that' Emilia continued, 'they just started to ignore me or tease me from a distance. I was self-conscious about my height and my leg and stuff but...whatever...'

'You're not still self-conscious about your height, are you?' Gloria asked her, sounding worried. 'You're only a little taller than me.'

They had reached the bottom of the stairs.

'Nah. I don't give a crud anymore.'

'Haha.' Gloria chuckled. 'And what about your leg? You're not self-conscious about that are you?'

Emilia smiled. 'No. I've grown mentally, I think. I am happy with who I am, I am happy with the way I am. If anyone has the guts to say anything bad to me.... well.... they'll just have to deal with a foot to the face.'

Emilia sighed then, a little sadly now.

'I hate it when people exploit my weakness' she spoke in a mumble. 'I....um.... the kids in my other school would steal my leg and run away with it...hide it places...'

'That's terrible...'

'It's ok' Emilia said animatedly, straightening up with her hands upon her hips. 'I was always great at playing hide and seek. But um...sometimes it was hard to get my leg back...even though I could see it, I couldn't always reach. Some of the kids liked to hide my leg in trees, or high up on the roof.... you know...places I couldn't easily reach. The number of times I fell out of trees or other high places...I'm surprised I didn't break my back. It's really hard to climb with one leg. But I did it!'

'I'm sorry people treated you that way' Gloria said to her, sounding genuinely sad.

'It's ok. It gave me some time out of class. Those lessons were always so boring. The teachers were always so boring. I hope the lessons in this school will be different.'

'I'm sure they will be' Gloria nodded.

They came to the doors now, stepping outside.

'Aaahh' Emilia sighed, lifting her hand to shield her eyes from the sudden brightness. 'It's lovely out here...'

Gloria appeared beside her, tilting her head up towards the sun also.

'Where shall we go first?' she asked.

'I don't mind' Emilia replied, 'anywhere really.'

'This school is pretty big' Gloria said, looking about them. 'I guess it doesn't matter where we go.'

'Cool.'

'How about we go to the library first?'

'Also cool.'

Gloria beamed at Emilia.

'You like the library then?' Emilia asked her.

'Oh yes' Gloria replied enthusiastically. 'It's my favourite place.'

I get to see her favourite place. Emilia smiled to herself. Cooool.

'It's this way' Gloria said, turning and walking away.

Emilia turned towards her as Gloria went, lingering for a moment before making after her.

They walked side by side, doing so at a gentle pace.

Emilia was happy, she glanced towards Gloria briefly. Gloria was smiling to herself.

Emilia watched her lips for a time, before facing ahead again.

A smile tweaked at the edges of her own lips then, and Emilia dipped her head slightly to try to hide this.

Things are going well she thought to herself. I am happy...

[END OF CHAPTER 3]