Chapter 20

Chapter 20

Later that day

*

Emilia and Shannon were sitting together, in the same place they had met that morning.

Emilia had a rare moment to herself. No lessons, no chores, and so she decided to come to this spot again, in case she was to see Shannon. And amazingly, there she was...

They saw each other once again, and Emilia went over to her.

Shannon had been practicing her ballet, as she had been before.

'It almost seems like you've been here all day' Emilia told her.

'I promise I've gone to lessons today' Shannon told her. Shannon lowered her arms from her pose. 'I was just about to take a break. Would you like to sit with me?'

'That would be great' Emilia said, feeling a flutter in her heart.

They sat on the grass side-by-side, and began to talk.

They spoke back and forth for a time, though Emilia did most of the talking.

Somehow, they got onto the discussion of Emilia's favourite philosopher.

'...one day, Alexander sought him out, and found him relaxing in the sun. Alexander offered him any favour, only to be told to move away, as Alexander was blocking the sun. He was often insulted by being called a 'dog,' but he took this name on himself, because he praised the dog and its virtues. Like the dog, he did not recognise society and considering himself above it. and was often referred to as Socrates gone mad.'

'That's very interesting' Shannon said. 'You know a lot about ancient history and stuff.'

'Well,' Emilia sighed, 'there are a lot of wonders in our past. I think it would be a shame if all that information were to be lost to time.'

'Yeah, you're right.'

'I'd like to see you practice dancing again' Emilia spoke up.

'Why don't you practice with me?' Shannon asked.

'Actually' Emilia said, hanging her head. 'I...would like to watch you practice instead. Only if you don't mind.'

'I get it' Shannon said, 'you want to learn from a professional.'

'Definitely.'

'Well,' Shannon spoke into her hand. 'I've still a lot to learn but...thank you. You can join me anytime if you want.'

'Ok.'

'I hope it's not awkward with your false leg' Shannon said, rising to her feet again.

'I'm used to it. I can always take it off if it gets uncomfortable. Good thing I got two legs hu?'

'It sure is' Shannon smiled, moving away.

The two became silent, and Shannon began to practice, while Emilia watched. And as she did, Emilia fell a little more in love with her.

I've actually been quite lucky now that I think of it, Emilia thought to herself, as she watched Shannon move.

Emilia smirked then.

That time you threw me down the stairs mother? Jokes on you, I only broke one of my legs. So there! Back when I had two working legs that is...

Emilia hugged her knees to her, watching Shannon closely.

I hope I'm not being creepy and staring too much...

[END OF CHAPTER 20]