Chapter 28

Chapter 28

Shannon was utterly broken. Emilia did everything she could to try to comfort her, but constantly doubted herself.

Should I stay with her? Should I give her space? What does she want? She won't tell me. She probably doesn't know herself...she hasn't eaten for a while. Oh no, when was the last time she ate? Is she hungry? Oh no, is this how others felt about me when I didn't eat? I feel terrible now...I mean.... I feel worse...oh god what is Shannon thinking? I wish I knew how to make her feel better.

'I know you're going to be ok' Emilia said to her girlfriend, clasping her hands tightly in her own. 'I know it. I just know' Emilia grinned widely at Shannon, who did not meet her eye. 'I know you're going to be ok' Emilia spoke confidently to Shannon, feeling no conviction behind her own words. 'You just have to get past this rough patch, and things will be better. Things will be better on the other side. I promise you.' Emilia caressed Shannon's cheek, kneeling before her as she sat on her bed in her dorm room. 'We're all here for you. Just tell us what you want, and we can do it for you. We will do it.'

'Ok.'

Emilia fought back the crushing hurt within her at Shannon's non-committed and vague answer.

Emilia smiled again, appearing genuine, appearing calm and confident. Like so many times already, she could easily fool others around her, and show them a different self to the true one she felt inside.

'I know you're going to be ok' Emilia whispered, leaning forwards and kissing Shannon on the forehead. 'Remember your phone' Emilia said to her, taking it from her bedside table and placing it upon Shannon's lap.

Shannon instinctively moved her leg to keep it from falling to the floor.

'I will be here' Emilia said to her. 'Even if it's in the middle of the night, or in the middle of class, or whatever. If you need me, I will be by your side in an instant. Ok?'

'Thanks.'

Emilia suppressed a sigh rising within her.

She kissed Shannon on the head again, squeezing her shoulders firmly before turning away.

'I love you Shannon' Emilia said to her as she walked away. 'See you soon, ok?'

*

Shannon made an attempt on her own life the very next day. No one knew where she got the pills from.

She missed class. A student was sent to her room to look for her.

Shannon stayed in her room alone now, her roommate, Sarah, having long-gone to pursue a better life with her love.

Emilia did not learn about all of this until after Shannon was already in hospital.

Emilia cried, sobbing hysterically into her hands when she heard.

It took a few seconds for her mind truly process what she had just been told, before she collapsed.

A few moments later, Emilia fainted.

[END OF CHAPTER 28]