Chapter 15

Chapter 15

'...so, you were upset because of yesterday?' Gracie said.

Becca nodded, giving a little cough.

Gracie took her jacket off, draping it around Becca's shoulders.

'N-no really I'm...'

But Gracie cut off her protests. 'You need to stay warm if you want to get better. I keep telling you to stop going out with not enough clothes on.'

Becca blushed slightly. 'You....don't have to say it like that...'

'Anyway...' Gracie continued, 'I was feeling nervous during my first event too.'

'You did?' Becca's eyes grew large at this.

'Yeah' Gracie smiled, closing her eyes as she began to reminisce. 'I had a terrible score...'

'Did you ever think about quitting?' Becca asked.

'Well...yes I did. Sometimes I still think about quitting. But I've felt so bad before on other occasions, and I'm sure I'll go through them again...' Gracie glanced away briefly, before looking back at Becca. 'I had so much fun and good times despite that.'

'Gracie....'

'We should go back to the hall soon' Gracie interrupted. 'We don't want to keep the other's waiting.'

Becca dipped her head a little, speaking quietly. 'I'm sorry I didn't congratulate you yesterday.'

'But you did.'

She looked up again, surprised.

'Forget it' Gracie smiled, looking away quickly.

'I'm sorry I couldn't be more helpful to you.'

'Oh Becca...' Gracie placed a hand over her heart then. 'You help me more than you know.'

Becca's eyes shimmered at that, and she dipped her head again, trying to hide her awkward smile.

'Don't...judge me ok...?'

'About what?'

'Well...' Becca shifted uncomfortably.

'Go on. You can tell me.'

'Can I.... sleep with you tonight?'

'Of course you can.'

Becca blinked in shock.

'Really?'

'Yes' Gracie replied. 'You sound surprised.'

'Well...I didn't think you would actually say yes.'

Gracie reached out to Becca, pulling her gently into a soft hug.

'You're like a sister to me...I'm not going to judge you for getting scared...I understand you've been alone.'

Becca wiped the tears from her eyes furiously, trying to do so quickly so that Gracie would not notice. But of course she did.

Becca could never hide her feelings from Gracie.

'If I let you sleep with me, you're not allowed to cry, ok?' Gracie pulled a handkerchief from the pocket of her dress, dabbing at Becca's eyes. 'I don't want you crying all over my bed.'

'Ok' Becca mumbled.

'Now give me a smile.'

Becca swallowed, pausing for a moment before looking back up at Gracie, smiling widely.

'You're so much prettier when you smile.'

'You are too' Becca said.

Gracie gently took Becca's hand in her own.