Chapter 13

Chapter 13

Emilia had a strange dream that made no sense. Not that dreams made much sense anyway. She dreamed of sharks biting her, and her scrambling up the side of a boat to try to get away from them.

Eventually, she heard some sounds, thinking that it was in her dream. But then realising she was dreaming.

And then the dream went away.

Emilia opened her eyes.

She blinked, staring up at the ceiling for a few moments, before turning her head to the side.

At first, she felt confusion, having no idea where she was. She couldn't even remember what had happened preceding waking up here.

And then it slowly dawned on her.

No...no...

Emilia rolled on her side, remembering Naomi.

Noooooo...

Tears began to brim in her eyes, and she cried silently.

'Emilia?'

She started then, quickly rubbing her eyes.

Emilia glanced over her shoulder, looking behind her and blinking blearily at the figure standing in the doorway.

She was in a small room alone, in the hallway beyond were faint sounds and distant voices.

'You're finally awake.'

'Ella?'

'That's my name.'

'What am I doing here?'

Ella sighed heavily, stepping into the room.

'Did you hit your head when you fell?' Ella said, sitting on the edge of her bed. 'Oh yeah you did' Ella went on, brushing Emilia's hair back carefully. 'I was actually joking but...' she paused. 'You look confused.'

'I am a little.'

'I carried you here.'

'Of course you did' Emilia smiled.

Ella was a sporty-type, and very muscular for a girl. She was always lifting weights in her spare time.

'I guess it's lucky you were around' Emilia said.

'Naomi came to find me. She said you two were talking and you suddenly fell.'

Oh, dear god.

'Did you forget to eat again?' Ella asked. 'And I didn't realise you were friendly with Naomi.'

'I...did forget to eat. And um.... we're not really friends uh...I was just talking to her.'

'Right?'

Ella stared at her, but Emilia did not elaborate.

Oh good I don't think Naomi said anything...

'It's a really bad habit by the way' Ella said at last. 'You keep doing this. It's not good for you.'

'I don't want to hear it' Emilia mumbled into her pillow. 'I don't wanna hear another lecture about health and fitness...'

'You know I don't mean to nag.'

Emilia said something then, but she could not be understood. All that Ella heard was muffled complaints as Emilia spoke into her pillow, hugging it to her face.

'Please speak clearly' Ella sighed.

Emilia lifted her head, glancing to Ella.

Emilia was about to speak when the door to the room opened again, and a figure walked in.

Well, hobbled in. There was another figure beside this first one, helping to support her.

The girl with green hair walked on one leg, her other leg lifted, ankle held tenderly. She was leaning on the girl beside her, who helped her walk.

Oh, its Shannon...

'Oh, I'm sorry to interrupt' the girl who supported her green-haired friend said. 'I hope we're not bothering you; this room is closest so...'

'It's ok' Emilia mumbled.

Emilia and Ella sat quietly for a few moments as the brown haired girl helped the green haired girl to one of the beds empty beds. There were three in the room in total, two now occupied.

'I'll be back in a second' the brown-haired girl told Shannon. 'Just stay here.'

'I'm not going anywhere' Shannon smiled back.

Her friend went away hastily to get the nurse, leaving Shannon alone with the other two girls.

'What happened Shannon?' Ella asked her. 'Are you ok?'

'Yeah,' Shannon replied, 'I just had a bit of an accident. I landed awkwardly doing ballet practice and twisted my ankle.'

'Oh, sounds painful' Ella winced.

'Yeah, it kinda is' Shannon grimaced.

Emilia watched Shannon silently, unable to stop staring at her hair.

Still looks like a cabbage....

Seconds later the door opened again, and the nurse entered, shortly followed by Shannon's friend.

*

Emilia stayed in the room for a short time only. She was given some food to eat and sent on her way.

Emilia wandered the grounds aimlessly for a while after that, choosing to stay alone.

She was supposed to be in class but, at this time, she could not bring herself to attend.

She couldn't stop herself from thinking of Naomi.

I can't believe I fainted in front of her.

She felt so ashamed.

Emilia buried her face in her hands, struggling to fight back the tears.

She straightened then, fixing an expression of determination upon her face.

Emilia walked across the grounds, moving to a secluded area, a section where there were trees and flowers, and a section of wall upon which was a mural painted by the mysterious 'Gone Girl.' It was a beautiful picture of a beautiful girl swinging a paintbrush in an otherwise grey painting, from the tip of the paintbrush ran a stream of rainbow colours.

Here Emilia sat, tucking herself away and out of sight of the building's windows, so that no one else could see her.

She took off her false leg, rubbing the stump, before slumping back with a sigh.

She sat there for a moment, before curling up, crying silently into her folded arms as she hugged her knees to her chest.

[END OF CHAPTER 13]