Chapter 2: ~ {Lo'ak's PoV}

I didn't want to leave the forest. I loved it. But dad did have a point. My stupid decision almost got Neteyam and I killed. The sky people are dangerous. 

We're flying to a Metkayina village - sea people. I have no clue what they'll be like and I don't like it. 

Dad kept saying we would see cool things on our trip. I haven't seen anything except for water, water and - oh wow! More water. 

But finally, on our last ten minutes of flying, I saw something. Just barley. It was a Na'vi. She was riding on some sort of sea creature, glancing behind her. I saw her lips move as she grabbed her spear that was sheathed to her back. She threw it at something behind her before crouching forward and going faster on her sea animal. I grinned. Finally something exciting. I guess she was also from the Metkayina village that we were headed to, as we stayed above her for the rest of the journey. She was still going fast, so fast, leaping in and out of the waves with her sea animal. They obviously had a bond, maybe that animal was the Metkayina version of our ikran. 

I watched her until she made it into the reef, when she went underwater. I was not paying attention at all and I almost crashed into Neteyam. 

"Watch where you're going, skxawng!" He called over to me. "Already got your eyes looking at someone?" He smirked. 

"No! Shut up, Neteyam!" I rolled my eyes. 

He didn't look convinced but he didn't press the matter any further. 

The village itself was beautiful - very different though. There were walkways that snaked around roots from massive trees above. There were little huts - no, they were more like pods. And everything seemed to want to surround the water and beaches. A horn sounded in the distance, likley a signal of our arrival. Maybe a message like "Hey! Strange newcomers are here with giant flying lizards!"

We finally found a patch of sand large enough for us to land on. I jumped off of my ikran and patted him. I scanned the Metkayina surrounding us. They had lighter skin, aqua blue almost. Their eyes were the same colour as their skin and their hair was black like ours. But they had thicker, curly hair. Their limbs were thicker, likely to be able to swim faster.

Movement out of the corner of my eye caused me to spin around. A girl stepped out of the water. and we made eye contact. Damn, she was pretty. Her eyes were the first thing I noticed. They were greenish and looked...deep, somehow. Then I saw her hair. The roots were in twists, held together by some sort of seashell. The rest of it cascaded down her back to her waist, only a few strands still braided. It looked..unique. Not quite as curly as the Metkayina and not quite as straight as ours. In fact, everything about her was unique. She had the build of a Omaticaya with long limbs. But she had a short torso and her limbs seemed a bit thicker than ours. So what was she? 

She broke eye contact and melted back into the crowd. I turned my attention to a large Metkayina. I assumed he was the chief, having all sorts of tattoos and decorative clothing. He started speaking and I kind of zoned out. Chief's speeches were never very interesting.

I zone back in to catch the conclusion of his monologue. "My son, Ao'nung, my daughter Tsireya and my adopted child, Atala will show you around and teach you." The chief - Tonowari - says, glancing around, probably looking for his children.

A boy beside him, whom I assume is Ao'nung speaks up, his expression sour.  "Father, why must I-"

Tonowari held up his hand. "It is decided. ATALA!" He roared, making me jump. Whoever Atala is, she's probably in trouble if she's got the chief screaming her name.

The girl from before appeared out of the crowd on his other side. "I'm right here." She said, glaring at the chief. "No need to shout." She rolled her eyes as she approached my family. "Would you like help carrying your supplies to your new home?" She asked, her tone changing drastically. It was sweet and could only be described as honeyed. It seemed welcoming and warm and kind but it was too sweet to be real.

My mother nodded. "Yes, thank you. Ah, let us introduce ourselves. I am Neytiri, this is my husband, Jake, and our children, Neteyam, Lo'ak, Kiri and Tuk." She pointed to each child as she said their name. I nodded to the girl when my mom said my name. 

"Hey," I said to Atala. She didn't really react, just nodding her head back. She turned to my mother. "I am Atala, as my adopted father just shouted." She said.

That was kind of bitchy. She barley acknowledged me and is just sucking up to my mother. I shake it off. She probably just wants to be nice to her. 

She picks up a couple of our bags, staring at her siblings with a pointed expression until they do the same. "Follow me." Her sister says. Her name is Tsireya, I believe. Atala lets us go first before she starts walking. I hang back until I am beside Atala. I think I want to get to know her. 

"I just wanted to introduce myself personally, but I'm Lo'ak." I say, looking at her. She's maybe a bit less than a foot shorter than me, so I have to look down to meet her eyes. 

She still doesn't look at me. "Cool. I'm Atala." 

"So, what's it like being a Metkayina?" I try to keep the conversation going but damn, she is being dry right now. Maybe she's tired?

She turns her head away from me and I swear I can feel her rolling her eyes. "It's pretty cool, the sea is beautiful. But I also love climbing on these trees." She looks up. 

I crease my brows in confusion. I didn't think any Metkayina enjoyed climbing. But, I finally got her talking, so I wanted to keep the conversation going. "Oh! I didn't think anyone here would like climbing." 

Atala turns to look at me with an odd expression on her face. It's gone before I can really interpret it though. It's replaced with a little smirk. "Oh, yeah, people here looove climbing." She says.

Ok, now I'm confused. The sentence agrees with what she's been saying but it sounds sarcastic. Are all Metkayina this confusing or am I just stupid?

She doesn't talk after that, walking in silence the rest of the way to our new home. At least she didn't walk away.