Chapter 50 {Atala's PoV}

AN
Hi everyone!
I'm so sorry for not updating as often, but my computer broke so I haven't been able to update as quickly. I will hopefully get it fixed soon and resume a normal update schedule.
- Brooke <3
—————————————————————————-

The next few weeks go by without any dramatic events. Lo'ak is with me. Neteyam is with Kamari. Our friend group is more fun than ever. It really feels like all the crazy drama is over.

One afternoon, I'm bored and no one seems to be around. I make my way to the Sully's pod, in hopes of finding someone to do something with.

I pause just before the entrance. Jake is speaking, and I want to make sure it's nothing important so I don't interrupt.

"...we are going to go back to the forest for a short visit," He sounds like he is arguing with someone. I can already assume who.

"Dad, a few months is not a 'short visit', we may as well be moving there!" Lo'ak argues.

"You can bear to be away from your friends for a few months," Jake sounds annoyed. "It won't kill you to spend some time with your family."

A pause. "Well, Atala is half Omaticayan. She deserves to see her other home. What if we brought her, showed her the forest?" It's Neteyam speaking this time. I'm surprised he's fighting for me like this.

Jake sighs. "No, we are not bringing Lo'ak's girlfrien-"

"Don't think of her as Lo'ak's girlfriend. Think of her as a child who has never been exposed to half of her cultural identity." Neteyam presses. "Considering you were Toruk Makto, you of all people should care about that."

"I won't even put up a fight if you let her come, Dad." Lo'ak says.

It sort of warms my heart that the two of them care enough to convince their dad to help me learn about my Omaticayan side.

Jake sighs in defeat. "Fine. But there'd better not be any fooling around. Do you read me?"

"Yes, sir." The brothers reply in unison.

"We leave at dawn the day after tomorrow. Go tell her to pack enough things for a few months." I don't hear the rest of what Jake says. I'm rushing away to make it seem like I wasn't eavesdropping.

I make it to my hut with moments to spare. I start to pretend that I'm about to start cooking. Just as I'm about to start fake cooking, the Neteyam and Lo'ak walk in.

"Hey guys," I say, standing up to give Lo'ak a kiss on the cheek. "What's up?"

"Hey, Atala," Lo'ak says, exchanging a glance with Neteyam. "So, we have some exciting news for you."

"Oooh, ok, what is it?" I ask.

"Well, our family is going to visit the forest for a few months. We'd like you to come." Neteyam says with a smile.

I put a shocked look on my face as Lo'ak takes my hand and squeezes it. "That - that sounds amazing," I say, spreading my face into a grin. "I would love to come!"

"We're leaving at dawn the day after tomorrow, so you have until then to convince your parents and pack up." Neteyam says. "Just say that you want to experience your Omaticayan culture. That's how we convinced our dad."

I laugh at that. "I'll definitely use that. Thank you guys so much." I give Neteyam a quick hug and pull Lo'ak into a longer embrace. Neteyam slips out of the room to give us our privacy. Once Neteyam leaves the room, I pull Lo'ak's lips to mine.

"I'm really excited that you'll get to see where I grew up," Lo'ak mumbles briefly before meeting my lips again.

"Me too," I say breathlessly, pulling away from the kiss. "I think it will be fun."

"Good luck convincing your parents. I have to go, but I'll see you soon." Lo'ak says.

"Alright. Bye." I say with a quick kiss on his cheek. I'm already distracted. I need to figure out how the hell I'm going to convince my parents to let me leave with my boyfriends family for three months.

I'm pretty proud of the meal that I've thrown together. It doesn't look or smell half bad. I can only hope it tastes as good. This is the first part of trying to convince my adopted parents to let me go.

Ronal and Tonowari enter the pod at the same time. I smile at them as they look down at my meal suspicously.

"What is this?" Ronal questions.

"I made dinner," I explain. "I've been reflecting a lot lately, and I've come to realize that I need to be more grateful for-"

"Oh, please Atala," Ronal rolls her eyes. "We all know you want something."

I sigh. "Fine. Can I please travel with the Sully's to the forest for a few months?"

"A few months?" Ronal cries. "No, you-"

"I don't see why it would be an issue, Ronal," Tonowari reasons. "We trust Jake and Neytiri, and they wouldn't allow our children to behave recklessly."

"Fine. Since the chief has apparently decided that our teenage child may go on a vacation with her boyfriend, then I suppose that settles that." Ronal says before sweeping out of the room.

Tonowari starts to go after her, but I think I surprise both of us when I grab his hand.

"Wait - I just wanted to say thank you," I say. "But also - why?"

Tonowari pauses, thinking about my question. "I am not proud of the way that we have treated you here. It has been unfair, and I suppose I have been trying to make it up to you lately. I'm sorry"

I turn over his words. "I appreciate your apology. And I also appreciate your efforts."

Tonowari smiles. I don't think we're quite at the point for a hug yet, but I'm hopeful that we'll be able to get there someday. Probably not anywhere in the near future, but maybe eventually.

For now, I'm only focused and excited for my trip to the forest.