Chapter 34 {Lo'ak's PoV}

The next two days drag on. Atala is moved to their mauri pod, and I help to move her. But other than that, theres not much for me to do other than wait. I help Ronal tend to the other wounded, I assist those who are immobilized, but I'm mostly waiting for Atala to wake up. 

After two days of waiting, Ronal says that she believes that Atala will wake up today. So all day, I sit in the pod, waiting. Many people come in the pod, which I think is ironic. They've hated Atala all of her life, just for being half Omaticaya. But as soon as she saves Toruk Makto's son, they love her. 

I keep my gaze on Atala, so I'm the first to see her eyelids flutter. My eyes widen and I sit up straighter. Did she actually move? Or is my desperate mind playing tricks on me? I peer closer and see that she's definitely awake. 

"Atala?" I say. She stirrs at the sound of her name.  I stand to find Ronal or my mother. I spot Ronal first.

"Atala is awake," I say, catching the  attention of the tsahík. She regards me and then turns her gaze to Atala. She moves closer and peers down at Atala. After a brief moment of inspection, the tsahík rises.

 "She's awake," She announces. "Her senses seem to be fine, but her mobility has not fully returned, and may not for a few hours. Same with her voice."

Atala's eyes are now completely open, darting around the room. Her mouth opens and it looks like she's about to form a word. But all that comes out is a rough sound. 

"Water!" I call, hoping that someone will fetch her water. I don't think I'm able to get any closer to her without collapsing into tears of relief. 

Someone rushes in, a cup of water in their hands. With the help of the tsahík, they pour the water down her throat.

"I'm fine," Atala says, her voice husky.

I move over to her, finally composed enough to not want to cry. 

I move so I'm right over her face. She can't yet move her head, and I want her to be able to see me.  "You just woke up after being unconscious for two days after being shot in the chest and your first words are 'I'm fine.'" I smile before embracing her. "I'm so glad you're alright."

Atala returns the embrace. "You too," She whispers to me. 

"Everyone out! She needs rest!" My mom shouts to the strangers with us in the pod. She herds them out and I move out of the way as my mom starts examining Atala. She's able to move all of her limbs, as well as her head and tail. 

Atala spends the next few days regaining her strength, being able to do more each day. I'm getting desperate to speak with her alone, but it never seems to be the right time. She's either resting, or we're surrounded by people. I don't know where we stand in our relationship, and the uncertainty isn't comforting. I finally spot her alone three days after she's woken up. Her back is to me, and her hair is loose and flowing down her back. She's facing the setting sun, which casts a halo of light around her. Atala looks like she's been sent by Eywa herself to bless the village.

I realize I'm staring, and that I must go now if I want to speak with her."Atala!" I call out. 

I see her shoulders move with a sigh before she turns, meeting my gaze with a glare that is quickly replaced with a confused look. 

I walk over and have a seat beside her. I shift uncomfortably. Best to get straight to the point. Neither of us are stupid. "I think you know why I'm here," I say, trying to catch her gaze. She keeps her eyes trained on her Ilu in the water, refusing to meet my eyes. It stings a bit. "I want to have an open discussion about our...argument." I plead. 

Atala turns her gaze to the setting sun. The light hits her face, illuminating her eyes, which are hardened with pain and anger. It's like she's glaring at the sun. She takes a breath."Sure, Lo'ak. We can talk and you can convince me to trust you again." She says sourly. She's definitely not in the best mood. Her face is completely calm and even, but the hurt shows in her eyes. I know she wants me to see it. The sight of her being so hurt from my actions pains me.

I'm not really sure what to do, but I can sense that she wants to be alone. "Ok," I start to stand up. "I promise you can trust me again."

Atala waits a moment before breaking her gaze off of the horizon and meeting my eyes. She's dead serious, with no hint of friendliness or kindness in her eyes. She may as well be a whole different person, much different than the girlfriend that I had less than a week ago.

"Don't tell me that I can trust you. Prove it." She turns away.

I'm not really sure what to say to that, so I just walk away. 

I can understand why Atala might be hesitant to trust me again, but considering everything we've been through together over the last few days, you'd think she would trust me, considering I was the one who got her off the ship and to my mom, who got her back to the village. But rationally, I know that I need to give her time. I fucked up big time. I'm just wracking my brain on how I can "earn her trust" again. The first time, it kinda just happened. Besides, the accusation was an honest mistake. 

But while I'm thinking about it, all I had to do the first time was be there and listen. I was her friend first. So maybe, we need to rebuild our friendship before our relationship.