Chapter 34 {Lo'ak's PoV}

My eyes drop to the gaping whole that has just been blown through Atala. She turns to me, her face paling by the second.

"Lo'ak," She rasps. "You- you have to get me down, back to the village. I don't want to die here." She presses her hand to the wound in an attempt to stop the bleeding.

My vision blurrs with tears. "You're not going to die, and we're getting you off of this ship."

I rush over to Atala and make it just in time to catch her as she collapses into my arms. I shout for Neteyam and my mom. We need to get Atala out. Neteyam comes rushing over.

"Shit! She's shot?" He asks.

"Yes, you skxawng! Help me get her down into the water." I say, carrying Atala to the edge of the deck. Neteyam starts on the ladder and we manage to bring her down. Neteyam calls for his Ilu and the three of us get on. We approach a rocky island, where my father is. He's organizing the next attack. I don't care about that, we just need to get back.

"Dad!" I say, raising my voice over the commotion of the battle. "Atala's shot. We're going back to the village."

Mom swoops down onto the island from her ikran. "It will be faster if I bring her on my Ikran." She says. "Come, help me get her up."

Wow. Mom must be really worried for Atala if she's willing to bring her onto her Ikran. Barley anyone is allowed to touch her besides my mom. Neteyam, mom and I work together to get Atala securely onto the Ikran. Mom mounts and holds Atala tightly.

I'm sad to see her go. If anything happens during the flight, like getting shot down, bleeding out or even just falling, then I may never see Atala again. It feels like a punch to the gut all over again, knowing that the chances that I may never see her again aren't small. As I watch the first and only person I know to actually See and understand me fly off into the sky, it's like a stone in my heart. I only hope I can earn her trust again.

"Alright, lets go, we need to get to the village," Neteyam says to me. 

"Don't we need the tsahík?" I ask. 

"Shit, you're right. Lets get her." Neteyam says. He claps and whistles, calling the ilu. They quickly arrive and we shoot off, searching for Ronal. 

After a a few minutes, although it feels like a few years, we find her. I quickly explain the situation to her and she agrees to come. We leave the battle field and are speeding towards the village. I can only hope we make it in time.

I barley register the ride back. I'm so consumed in my worries and thoughts, that I barley notice the ride back. But before I know it, we're at the village. My mother and Atala beat us, but from the looks of it, we weren't far behind. 

Mom spots us and calls to us. I make it to shore first, and in an instant, I'm at Atala's side. I take her hand, barley caring that both of our mothers are right there. "Atala, stay with us! Hang on a little longer," I say. "Ronal will be here soon to heal you."

Her eyes are closed, and I assume she's unconscious. But I feel a pressure on my hand. Did she just squeeze it? Or is my desperate mind playing tricks on me? I wouldn't be too surprised if it was her. Leave it to Atala to survive being shot by an alien and still be conscious.

"Ronal!" Neteyam says. I turn to see Ronal approaching with her medicines. "She's been-"

"Shot, yes, I'm aware." She says. 

"Could you please stop with the indifferent comments?" I hiss. "Your daughter and my girlfriend is currently bleeding out, and all you care about is pettiness. So, please, fix her." My voice cracks as I once again realize Atala may not wake up.

Ronal holds my glare before breaking eye contact and starting to begin the healing process. She's poking her with a substance, blowing air onto her back and the wound. I don't know much about tsahík practices or medication, but it seems incredibly complicated. I just hope it's enough to keep Atala alive.

I walk away, unable to be near her anymore. I stop at the shore and sink to my knees. 

Eywa, please show some mercy and allow Atala to live. She has the potential to do great things, I know it. Please.

A soft sob slips out of me as I reach up to my face to wipe my tears.

A few minutes later, I catch a conversation between Ronal and my mother.

"I've done all that I can, but she's very weak," Ronal says. "She hasn't moved and her heart is weak. The bullet barley missed it."

"She has a strong heart. I believe she will pull through." My mom says. It goes quiet for a moment. "Look! She's awake! Lo'ak!"

I stand up to get a glimpse of Atala's eyes open. I rush over. If Atala is as weak as Ronal says, this may be the last time I see her alive. I need to apologize.

Atala smiles as she sees me and I take her hand.

"Atala, I'm sorry for what I said. It wasn't fair and I was wrong. Can you forgive me? Please?" I beg. I know she can't respond, but she squeezes my hand again and gives the barest nod of her head. 

Even without words, I know she forgives me. I throw my arms around her. "I love you," he whispers in my ear. I don't care if our parents hear. The familiar form of Atala's body on mine makes my eyes well up again. I wipe the tears away as I sit up.

"I will give her sleep inducing herbs," Ronal says as she crushes herbs and liquids in a pot. "They will help her sleep and heal. Whether she wakes up will be decided by Eywa."

She tips back Atala's head and pours the liquid down her throat. Whatever she gave Atala must be strong, because her eyes immediately droop and slip close in a moment. In less than a minute, her chest is rising and falling with the calm breath of sleep. 

Now, theres nothing to do but wait until she wakes up. I get up from my position beside Atala. I have to keep busy, or the time will drag by. But before I start distracting myself, I may as well ask Eywa for some sort of mercy.

Please keep the girl I love safe.