Chapter 44 {Atala's PoV}

It takes a few months, but I think it's safe to say that Lo'ak and my's relationship is as strong as ever. I'm really proud of us that we were able to work through such a hard time, and still have a good relationship. 

Our families are also thrilled (our parents aren't exactly thrilled, but they're happy for us) that we're back together. I'm just glad that our friend group isn't awkward and tense anymore. 

The group spent the day outside of the reef, mostly riding the waves and exploring the reef by Three Brother's Rocks. It's a nice, stress free day. It feels like the first time in forever that our group was able to spend time together while being carefree.

That night, after we've said goodbye to our friends, Lo'ak gives me a look. 

"You want to hang out for a while?" He asks, a slight grin on his face. He laces our fingers together. 

Already giddy from the amazing day we had, a grin easily spreads across my face. "Yeah, that sounds good."

We start walking towards our cove, the both of us being in too good of a mood to worry about being quiet. I spent the day with my amazing friend group, and now I get to go hook up with my boyfriend. What could be better?

We make it into our cove. Both of us are laughing, for literally no reason - an amazing feeling. Lo'ak sort of steers us over to a tall tree. My back bumps against the tree as I run into it. Lo'ak is in front of me and is smiling and laughing along with me. His eyes spark with a look that I'm familiar with. Our laughter goes quiet as our lips meet. 

One of his hands is cradling my face and the other one is resting on my hip. He pulls me closer as my hands trail across his back. His mouth works it's way down my neck and I smile as he does it. Our lips meet again. His hands are warm against my lower back, and mine are behind his neck. I lower us to the floor. I move around Lo'ak, so now his back is to the tree. He sits with his knees up, and I move on top of him.

"Oh, what the hell?" A new voice says. "I come down here one time and you two are doing this!"

I scramble off of Lo'ak as dread fills me. Lo'ak's father, Jake Sully, Toruk Makto has caught his son and I doing something that is very inappropriate. Shit. We are screwed.

Lo'ak gets up and is standing beside me. The last time someone caught us making out, it was Lo'ak's brother. Not that it was good, but it was better. I guess I'd rather Lo'ak's family than mine, but still! They should have figured out by now that we are not only talking when we're alone here.

I take a breath. I can spin this to my favour. I relax my face, and tilt my chin up. I just try to seem and calm and innocent as I can manage.

You haven't broken any rules, I tell myself. It's just an incredibly awkward situation.

"Hey dad," Lo'ak says. I'm surprised when he speaks first, in this tense little circle. "Um..what do you need?"

"When you didn't come in with your brother and sister, we got worried. Your siblings told us that you came here. You were supposed to come home right after." Jake says sternly. He still hasn't looked at me. "When were you planning on coming home?"

Lo'ak sighs. "I don't know, forty five minutes, an hour? Not long!" 

"See, all it takes is a few seconds. That's all it took for you to get taken!" Jake raises his voice. "And you're here with the girl who put you in that vulnerable position too?" He still doesn't look at me.

That was a hard blow. I hadn't realized that Jake may have blamed me for what his son endured. But I won't let him pin the blame on me, so I may as well turn the blame on Jake. "Hey, the only reason that Lo'ak went to that spot that night was because he didn't want to go home when he was feeling so bad!" I protest. 

"Let's not get into what happened that night," Lo'ak says, raising his hands and stopping a potential argument. "Dad, I'll come home now."

"Yeah, before we do that, what the hell were you two doing when I got here?" Jake asks, bringing up the dreaded topic. "And what would have happened had I not shown up?" He sighs, pinching the bridge of his nose. "We'll have to have a discussion about this with all of the parents."

"Wait, what? Why?" Lo'ak asks. "We have your permission to be together!"

"Yes, but when we agreed to that, we figured that you would be in a relationship where the most intense thing you do is a light kiss - not whatever that was! You two are far too young for that!"

"We're almost fifteen!" Lo'ak isn't letting up. "And - remind me - how old were you and mom when you guys had Neteyam?"

"That is besides the point, Lo'ak. Come on, you two are going home and we'll talk about this in the morning." Jake says, grabbing Lo'ak by the arm. As he's being dragged away, Lo'ak shoots me a look. A look saying that we will not let our parents drag us apart.