Chapter 46 {Atala's PoV}

I keep my chin up as I follow my parents into the Sully's pod the next day. As much as I hate to be here, I'm very prepared to argue with our parents.

Lo'ak and his parents are waiting for us when we enter. Jake and Neytiri are both glaring at me. Lo'ak looks stone cold and determined. I stand next to Lo'ak and our parents stand in front of us. Our parents glare down at us.

Since no ones talking, then I will. "A few months back, all four of you consented to Lo'ak and I being romantically involved, and that was that. Everyone was happy." I harden my glare. "And now you're taking this back? Why?"

The parents exchange glances like I'm a little five year old begging to stay up past her bedtime. Like I haven't saved and taken lives. "Atala, we went over this last night," Jake explains in a mockingly calm tone that I can't stand. "We assumed that it wouldn't be an intense relationship, especially not since Lo'ak was captured - which was partly your fault."

"It was not Atala's fault!" Lo'ak cries. "I was feeling upset and no one here would have respected that, so I went to the place where I was captured from!"

"This is not relevant," Ronal says. "The point is, you two can no longer be together."

"But why?" The words fly out of my mouth in an exasperated outburst. "What is the worse that can happen?"

 Ronal draws herself up before speaking. "You could get heartbroken, you may not be emotionally mature, you could make a decision that you will regret, a baby-"

"What if we promise that we won't mate?" Lo'ak proposes. "Not that we have any interest in mating, but we will also discuss it with you before we make any big steps in this relationship?"

Jake and Neytiri share a look. I briefly remember Lo'ak telling me how spontaneous his parents relationship was. And how young they were. A plan forms in my mind. "Jake, Neytiri, if you don't mind, I have a question," 

"Yes, what is it, Atala?" Neytiri says, only sounding a little irritated.

"So, how young were you and Jake when you met?"

"I was 18, Jake was-"

"Let's not get into that," Jake interrupts. "My age was all messed up from the trip here from Earth, and it's not really important. Neytiri was 18."

"Okay, so you guys were only three and a bit years older than Lo'ak and I are right now, correct?"

"That's right.." Neytiri says, her eyes narrowing in suspicion. 

"And considering that Lo'ak and I are not mating in any way, then I'd say this seems appropriate and on course as to what you two did." I argue.

"Jake and I do not regret our decisions, but we certainly do not want you to have a baby right now-" Neytiri says.

"We already told you, we have no interest in mating!" Lo'ak protests. "And neither of us even want kids any time in the near future."

"Enough!" Tonowari booms. The room falls silent at his voice. "I grant Lo'ak and Atala permission to stay together, only under the terms that they previously proposed; they will not mate and you will discuss it with all four parents before they make any big steps in this.. relationship."

"Tonowari," Ronal says, shooting a look at him. They have a whole conversation without saying a word, and by the time they're finished that little staring contest, it's clear that Tonowari has won. Ronal nods her head for him to proceed.

I try to tamp down the excitement that I feel. Is he serious? Can Lo'ak and I actually stay together? 

"What's the catch?" Lo'ak asks.

"No catch," Tonowari says. "We just ask that you follow your own rules."

Neither of Lo'ak's parents argue with the chief. 

I'm suspicious. Tonowari has never been particularly fond of me, so why would he do this? Is it for Lo'ak? Or is it just a whim he can act on because he has the power? 

"Thank you, sir," Lo'ak says, taking my hand. I'm still frozen, trying to find how Tonowari would benefit from this. "You won't regret your decision."

Lo'ak leads me out of the room. I stay silent. We start heading for our cove, but I'm not really in the mood anymore. Maybe we can just talk this over, try to figure out why Tonowari gave us his blessing.

"Can you believe it?" Lo'ak says, oblivious to the fact that I'm thinking. "We can finally be together, and do anything we want!"

"I don't trust it, Lo'ak," I say. "Why are we allowed? Our parents sure as hell don't want us together, so how did Tonowari convince them so easily? And why is he giving us permission?"

Lo'ak sighs. "Atala, maybe he actually has good intentions," He grins teasingly. "I know you have trouble with believing that."

"I know, but still," I say, as Lo'ak and I enter the forest that keeps our cove hidden. "I have too many questions, and Tonowari doesn't like me enough to say 'he did it because he loves me.'"

Lo'ak holds a branch back so I can move through. Normally I would think the gesture is adorable - I love when Lo'ak is a gentleman - but I'm to preoccupied. "I mean, those are valid questions, but maybe he's changing, maybe he's starting to see you for who you are, rather than how you act."

I snort. "Please, all he sees when he looks at me is the little burden that isn't his and that he doesn't want," I grin. "But hey, as long as he leaves me alone, I'm ok with it."

Lo'ak turns his head away so I can't see the sad expression he is undoubtedly wearing from my dark humour joke. 

We make it through the forest into our cove. But movement catches my eye. I squint, peering closer and I realize that they're Na'vi - clearly making out. I elbow Lo'ak, whom I don't think has noticed yet. They haven't seen us yet either.

"Lo'ak," I whisper. "Are those two hooking up right now?"

He follows my gaze and I see his eyebrows shoot up. "Oh, shit," he says, far too loudly. They know we're here now. They stand up and I can clearly see their faces.

Neteyam and Kamari, a girl a year older than me, are in front of us. Neteyam couldn't look more ashamed, while Kamari looks angry that we interrupted. 

I'm surprised that Kamari and I aren't closer. I hardly ever speak to her, but she's well known in the village for three things - being beautiful, willing to hook up with anyone and being scarce, all the time. She's nice enough, if you ever see her. Most people say she either spends all of her time in the forest behind our village, or outside of the reef. Apparently, tonight, she's chosen to be here with Neteyam.

"I told you that I have experience," Neteyam says to Lo'ak. 

Ok, I do not need to know what he means by that. I turn to Lo'ak. "I'm going to go, but have fun with whatever this is," I say, touching his arm. "Good night, guys."

As I leave, I hear Kamari speak. "I'm gonna head out too. I had fun tonight, 'Teyam." It sounds like she leaves in the opposite direction.

I arrive home to find only Tonowari awake. 

"I've been waiting for you, Atala. Sit." He says.

I do as he says, cautious of what he wants.

"I'm sure you're suspicious as to why I granted you and the Sully boy permission to continue your relationship," He says, reading my mind. "So I will tell you; I know you truly love him. I saw the way you fought with and for him on the Sky People's ship. It was...ruthless."

I'm not sure if he's complimenting me or not. "Um...thank you?" I say, although it comes out like a question. 

"I admired that courage, Atala. Not many can do what you have done, especially without letting it haunt them. You have a strong heart." He places a hand on my shoulder. 

I think that's the first compliment he's ever given me, and I struggle to keep my face looking neutral. "Thank you." I say. "Good night."

I hurry away before he can see the huge grin that is spreading across my face.