Chapter 45 {Lo'ak's PoV}

After a few months, I'm feeling pretty confident about Atala and I's relationship. It's strong, secure and she's opening up to me now. I can tell that Atala is super proud that we were able to overcome such a big thing without breaking up. There were definitely ups and downs, but nothing we can't handle.

Our siblings are super excited that we're back together, especially now that our friend group isn't super tense and awkward. Our parents are happy enough, but they're not overly excited for us. 

Today, we leave the village, outside of the reef. We ride the waves and explore the reef around Three Brother's Rocks. The day is carefree and happy and I can practically forget everything that happened with the Sky People. It's the first time I've felt like that in what feels like forever.

But even after a fun day with her, I still want to spend some time alone with Atala. I know it's stupid, but I miss her touch and I'm getting kind of antsy for it. It's been four days since we've had any time alone. So, as we're saying goodbye to our friends, I shoot a look to Atala.

"You want to hang out for a while?" I ask, a smirk forming across my lips as I take Atala's hands. 

Atala grins widely, which is a rare thing for her. She's clearly in a good mood from the exciting day we just had. "Yeah, that sounds good." She says.

We chat and laugh all the way to our cove. The carefree energy is still with me, and I'm not being cautious about being quiet. But it's not like we need to sneak around, either. Everyone knows we're together. Sure, we've faced taunts and odd looks from other villagers, but it was manageable. I just had to keep Atala from attacking them, but it was fine. But I don't want to think about that. I'm just looking forward to making out with Atala.

We enter our cove, still laughing. Nothing in particular is funny, but we're both in such good moods. It's a really good feeling. I sort of lead us to a tall tree, standing in front of Atala, whose back is to the tree. Our laughs quiet as she stares up at me, her eyes shining. The laughter dies as our lips meet.

One of my hands is holding her jawline, while the other is resting on her hip. I want her closer, and I pull her closer as her hands trail across my back, which feels like lightning over my skin. I move my lips down her neck before I come back up and our lips connect. I move my hands over her lower back, right above her tail. I can feel that her tail is going wild with pleasure. Her hands are warm against my neck. Atala starts to lower, and I follow. She moves around me so now I'm against the tree. I sit down and she moves herself over and on top of me. I pull away for a brief moment to grin up at her before she pulls my face to hers.

"Oh, what the hell?" A new but familiar voice says. "I come down here one time and you two are doing this!"

Atala scrambles off me as all the amazing sensations I was just feeling vanish. My father is standing in front of us after he just caught us hooking up. Fuck. At least last time it was Neteyam that caught us.

I feel Atala beside me, changing her body language, calming her face. I don't know how she does it, but it's a skill I would kill to have.

No one is speaking, so I may as well do it. "Hey dad," I say. "Um..what do you need?"

"When you didn't come in with your brother and sister, we got worried. Your siblings told us that you came here. You were supposed to come home right after." He says with a glare in my direction. I notice that he hasn't spared a glance at Atala yet. "When were you planning on coming home?"

I sigh. "I don't know, forty five minutes, an hour? Not long!"

"See, all it takes is a few seconds. That's all it took for you to get taken!" He's raising his voice and getting angry. So that's why he's here. It's about my kidnapping. "And you're here with the girl who put you in that vulnerable position too?" Shit. I hadn't wanted her to know that.

I haven't told her yet, but my family very much blames her for the fact that I got kidnapped, and then that leading to a battle. Of course, Atala was the one that got shot while trying to get me out safely, but they never seemed to hear when I brought up that argument in her defence. 

Atala, of course, finds a loop hole in my fathers words, an opportunity to flip the blame onto him, and she takes it. "Hey, the only reason that Lo'ak went to that spot that night was because he didn't want to go home when he was feeling so bad!"

I don't want this to escalate more than it needs to. Best to just submit and be done with it. "Let's not get into what happened that night," I say as I raise my hands. "Dad, I'll come home now."

"Yeah, before we do that, what the hell were you two doing when I got here?" He asks, getting annoyed. God, why did he have to bring that up? "And what would have happened had I not shown up?" He sighs, pinching the bridge of his nose. "We'll have to have a discussion about this with all of the parents."

"Wait, what? Why?" I blurt out. "We have your permission to be together!"

"Yes, but when we agreed to that, we figured that you would be in a relationship where the most intense thing you do is a light kiss - not whatever that was! You two are far too young for that!" 

I almost smirk at that.  "We're almost fifteen!" I say, my voice getting louder. "And - remind me - how old were you and mom when you guys had Neteyam?" I add snarkily.

"That is besides the point, Lo'ak. Come on, you two are going home and we'll talk about this in the morning." Dad says as he grabs me by the arm. Atala is still standing there, and while she looks stoic, she probably feels helpless. I shoot her a determined look, hoping that she gets my message.

We won't let them tear us apart.