Chapter 24 {Lo'ak's PoV}

I watch as Atala paces the length of the cove. She told me that Ronal wanted to have an "important conversation" with her at sunset. Atala is very nervous about this. She's expressing her concerns to me as I sit on the warm sand.

"What if she's finally kicking me out for good?" She asks, mostly to herself. "It would be nice, but I would not feel safe being alone every night."

"Then I would come stay with you," I say.

"Oh! What if they found out I was sneaking out?" She says. I don't think she's listening to me. "They would ground me for life and definitely make me break up with you."

"Then we would just keep sneaking out." I offer. I can't take this any more. I

"What if-"

I stand up and stand in her way. I take her hands. "Atala, you need to calm down." I feel like I need to give her something. The only useful thing on me right now is my dagger and sheath. So I unclasp it and gift it to Atala. "Whatever happens, we'll find a way through it. Take this, for strength. You won't need it, but it will make you feel better."

Atala finally takes a breath. "Ok. Yes, ok, you're right." She lets out a breathless laugh and attaches the sheath to her leg. "I'm being insane. We'll be fine."

I nod. "Exactly," I kiss her, and to my surprise, she leans into it, making it deeper. I wrap my arms around her and pull her closer to me. And now we're making out. Even after all these months of meeting up and the countless make outs, the intensity is still there. And then Atala pulls away.

"Lo'ak, I have to go," Her voice is just above a whisper. I'm dissapointed, but I hope it can't show on my face. I'm surprised when she stands on her tiptoes to whisper into my ear. "We'll continue this soon." I promise.

I have to focus on being strong for Atala. I smile and take her hands. "You can do this. Whatever happens, I will be by your side." I promise.

She nods. "Thank you." She kisses me goodbye and is gone.

I spend the next little while roaming around the cove. I eat some food, swim in the water, but I can't deny it: I'm restless. So when the sunset has gone from pink, yellow and orange to blue, purple and black, I decide it's been long enough and go to find Atala.

I creep through the village. I'm not sure why, it's not like I need to be stealthy or I'll get in trouble. But as I approach Atala's pod, I see her silhouette outside talking to someone else. As I get closer, I see she's speaking to my brother. I freeze. I can only catch snippets of their conversation. "it's just me," "think we're doing that," "want to" "i'm sleeping with you," "convince me more" 

I actually flinch when Atala reaches out and takes Neteyam's hand. It's like a punch to the gut. I spin and sprint to the cove. I don't want to freak out in the middle of the village.

I pace angrily when I get back to the cove, my thoughts racing. I knew Atala would never go for someone like me - the problematic, younger son - when she could easily pull Neteyam - the older, better son that everyone seems to like more. I shouldn't even be surprised, it was only a matter of time before Atala realized she can do better and cheat on me! A dozen scenes fly through my head, memories of Atala. This whole thing makes me wonder how much of it was real and how much she was actually thinking about my brother. 

Atala curled up against me, staring at the night sky as I admired her.

Atala laughing and smiling with me as we told funny stories.

Atala quietly listening as I shared stories of my father who seemingly always chose Neteyam, and silently wiping away the tears of my past.

Atala's body on mine, her smile glowing.

This reliving of memories is horrible, physically hurting. I hear her approaching. "Lo'ak! Come, I want to tell you everything." She says. She doesn't even know I saw them. I raise my head towards her and I can see her react to the glare on my face. 

"I'd be great, if I hadn't just found out that my girlfriend was cheating on me with my brother." I say, my glare unwavering.

Her calm mask falters, revealing a scared expression. I will get an explaination.