Chapter 39 {Atala's PoV}

Lo'ak and I spend the next hour or so just talking, like we used to. We need to get our relationship warmed up. I'll admit, the conversation was stale, but I assure myself that it will get better as we spend more time together. I can't help but miss how easy it was before our fight. I took that ease for granted, and I will work to get it back.

I return home to find Tsireya, Kiri and Tuk on the beach in front of the pod. Tsireya and Kiri are chatting on the sand while Tuk plays in the shallows. I walk over to join them.

"Hi guys," I say. Tuk grins and waves to me. Kiri and Tsireya gesture for me to join them.

"So, how'd your chat with Lo'ak go?" She asks. "Ao'nung told me how worried Lo'ak was."

"Worried?" I question. "How does he know that Lo'ak was worried?"

Tsireya grins. "Lo'ak asked Neteyam, Ao'nung and Rotxo for advice before going to speak with you." She says. "That's so adorable, him being so nervous to talk to you."

So thats why Neteyam showed up to talk to me. I figured he had more reason than wanting to make sure I didn't hurt his baby brothers feelings. I nod and smile. "It went well, but we both agree we have to work for this to happen," I say. "I stayed with him for a while after, talking, but it's like we're both scared to say anything that might upset the other," I sigh. "I miss how easy it was."

"I think you'll be able to work through it," Kiri says. "You two are good for each other. You balance each other out."

Tsiryea snorts. "Except for the fact that they're both super stubborn," I shoot her a look. She puts her hands up in fake innocence. "What? I'm not wrong. Back me up here, Kiri."

"You both need to get your way," She agrees. "But still, I'm sure you'll be able to work past that."

"I can't get over how cute you two are together!" Tsireya says dreamily. "I'm team Lo'ak and Atala for life!"

"Oooooh!" Tuk giggles as she runs over. "Atala, do you loooooove Lo'ak?"

I pause. Do I love him? And am I comfortable saying that in front of his sister? I take a breath. "Yeah, I do love him." I say after a moment. 

"Oh my goodness, can I please be the wedding planner?" Tsireya begs. "I have so many ideas, you will have the most beautiful wedding-"

"Tsireya! We are fourteen, there is absolutely no discussion of marriage whatsoever," I say. "And even if I were to marry Lo'ak, I think I'd want a private ceremony before Eywa."

Kiri nods. "Ignoring the fact that - ugh - Lo'ak may get married some day, I agree. I would also want to marry privately, with only Eywa as my witness."

"Well I want a huge, pretty wedding with everyone I know, because I want everyone to see me marry the love of my life!" Tuk squeals.

"I actually agree with Tuk. I want an extravagant wedding." Tsireya says. 

"Woah, who's getting married?" A voice says. I whip around and see Lo'ak approaching. I turn back around, needing the few seconds that he can't see my face to put on a calm expression. By the time he sits down in front of me, I only hope that I don't look as terrorized as I feel. 

Tsireya's eyes flick to me. "Oh, no one's getting married right now!" She says unsubtly, her eyes moving from me to Lo'ak. "But in the future."

"Riiiiight," Lo'ak says suspiciously. There's an awkward moment of silence. "Um, Atala, do you want to go for a walk?"

I nod. "Sure," I say quickly. I will do anything to escape this silence. 

He helps me stand up and we head out. We have a steady flow of conversation happening - still a little dry, but it's better than silence. We walk onto a little peninsula. The sun is now fully set, the sky being a nearly purple colour. A sense of deja vu washes over me. We've been here before. When I told Lo'ak that I Saw him and really meant it. I smile a little at the memory.

Lo'ak must have noticed. "What're you thinking about?" He asks.

I look away, embarrassed. "I was just thinking about the first time you and I came here. It was the first time that I told you that I See you."

Lo'ak grins. "That was a really nice night," He agrees. "It's sort of weird - none of this ever would have happened if the Sky People had never discovered Pandora."

His words make me think. His family wouldn't have come to our village if it weren't for the Sky people. Jake Sully would still be a human, Lo'ak and his siblings never would have existed, my parents might still be alive. It's weird to think about, how an insane course of precarious events changed our lives like this.

"Well, this means theres one thing I can be grateful to the Sky People for," I say, taking Lo'ak's hand. "They made you guys come here, so I guess we owe our relationship to them."

He grins. "That's so cheesy, but you do have a point." His face turns cold with hatred and disgust and sorrow. "I still hate the Sky people for what they did to you."

I almost smile at his proclamation. It's sweet, in it's own way. "It's not as bad as it could've been. I didn't die, and no one in your family was hurt - not your parents, Kiri, Tuk, Neteyam. They're all safe, I'm recovered. We're safe now."

His face softens as he looks at me. I'm really looking at him close up since our fight. He's grown quite a bit. He's definitely taller and he's lost nearly all of the baby fat in his face, leaving it sharper and more pronounced. He looks older too, but not just physically. I think the fight aged everyone dramatically.

"I think we'll be able to stay together," Lo'ak blurts out. "We're both strong and smart and we've both been through so much together - we can do this."

I smile. I know I've been saying it, but hearing him say the words to me, sounding so assured, really helps. "We've totally got this. We just click."

I take his hand and lay down on the ground. He lays back while I rest my head on his chest. We stay like this for a while, watching the sky. It's the safest I've felt in a really long time. I'm glad.

_____________________________________________________

A/N

Thank you soooo much to everyone who's read and voted for my story! I'm so proud of how far it's come and the progress I've made.

This story is almost over, but I'm not done with Lo'ak and Atala yet. I plan on making a spin off of a series of one-shots. It won't exactly have a plot, but it will be a bunch of short stories. Mostly because I want everyone to have more context as to what Lo'ak and Atala do outside of the main story. But I also want to make a spin off because I love these characters and I don't want to entirely give them up yet.

I also want to start planning/brainstorming a new fan-fiction to start after this one. I'm open to pretty much anything, as long as I have seen it (a list of the series I've read/watched is in my profile bio) so if anyone has any suggestions as to what they would be interested in reading, just let me know!

Thank you again for taking the time to read my story - I'm so grateful for everyone. And please let me know what you want to see me write next!

~Brooke