Chapter 20 {Lo'ak's PoV}

As I enter the Mauri pod, my parents turn their attention to me. Dad is sitting on the floor waiting for me. My mom is in the back of the pod, chopping up vegtables. Great. I'm in for a looong lecutre. I have no doubt that Atala is facing a similar thing right now. 

"You already know what we need to talk about." My dad says. He gestures to the floor. I sit across from him. Mom doesn't join us, but I'm sure she will butt into our conversation at some point.

"Being in a relationship at any age is an incredibly mature and delicate thing." Dad says. "Are you sure that you didn't take advantage of her in any way?" 

"Yes, sir." I say. "She actually made the first move."

Dad's mouth moves up into almost a smile, but it's gone before it becomes a real one. "Ok - did you do anything to pressure her into making 'the first move?'"

I glare at him, my temper flaring. "No! Why do you think I manipulated her somehow? Is it really that unbelievable that someone would like me for me?" 

"Of course  not, Lo'ak, but you never know in these sort of situations." Dad says, his tone softening. "You guys are kids, it's your first relationship and sometimes you pressure someone into doing something without even knowing it. And sometimes, girls will feel pressured into things like this and you won't ever know."

Mom scoffs. "Ma Jake, you would not know. You were never a fourteen year old girl." She says, not looking at us. "Atala is smart, has a strong heart. I can sense it. She would not hesitate to leave if she felt pressured."

"Mom's right." I say. "Atala would definitely leave if she didn't like me."

"Well, I'm glad you chose a smart girl with a strong heart. That's important." Dad says. His eyes flick to mom. "But theres one more thing we need to cover." He pauses. I nod my head, gesturing for him to continue.

"Are you being uh-safe?" He says awkwardly.

I roll my eyes and groan. "Yes - do we have to talk about that part of it?" 

Dad considers. "Fine, but you have to promise you're being safe."

I raise my hands in innocence. "Ok! Ok! I promise."

Dad cracks a smile. "Alright. Good job, son." He stands up and takes me under his arm. I don't get to experience this all that often, not just one-on-one. 

 "Excuse me, is Lo'ak in?" A familiar voice says. I turn to see Atala in the doorway. Something is wrong. She's all tensed up and a frightened, wild look is in her eyes.

Her eyes widen more as she sees me under my fathers arm. "I-I'm so sorry. But it's sort of an emergency." She says. Her voice cracks. Shit. Something is very very wrong. In the short time I've known her, we've talked about some seriously sad shit. She never even got close to crying. 

I turn to mom and dad, a pleading look on my face. They also know something is wrong. Atala is just generally the type you wouldn't assume to cry easily. Mom is gazing at Atala with a concerned look on her face. Dad nods and I turn to Atala, rushing her out. I don't imagine she wants to cry in front of her boyfriends parents or in public.

I lead her to the cove as she clings on to my hand. I sit us down on the sand and start asking questions. "What's wrong? Did you get yelled at?" I can feel my forehead creasing in concern.

"No - I mean, yes, I did, but that's not why I'm upset." She takes a moment before telling me what happened.

Oh fuck.

She starts crying as soon as she starts telling her sad story. Her face is soaked by the time her telling is over. The story alone makes me sad, but seeing her so upset makes me want to cry. I don't, for her sake. She needs me to be the strong one now.

"Oh, God, Atala." I wrap her in my arms, holding her tight. "That's fucked up."

I can still feel her being tense. She's still holding her emotions back. I lean back and peer at her face. She's definitely holding stuff in. "Why are you still holding it in?" I pull her close again. "I can tell that this isn't all there is to let out."

She attempts to wipe her face dry. "If I let myself fall apart, I don't think I'll be able to put myself back together." 

That breaks my heart a bit. Ok, it breaks my heart a lot. "Then I'll help you put yourself back together."I reassure her. "You're not alone anymore. I'm here. Always."

I hate the fact that Atala thinks she has to do everything alone, always being strong. I know she's not trying to, it's just the result of having to be lonley and independent for a life time. 

She gazes up at me, her eyes still shining with tears. Even with her tear stained, puffy face, she looks beautiful. "Thank you." She says.

Her sobs start slowly before dissolving into heaving cries. I let her cry, just muttering soothing words to her. And when her angry screams - screams that she 100% deserves to let out - I rub her back, waiting for her to be done. And when all of her grief filled rage, sobs and energy is spend, I happily let her rest in my lap.

"Atala, I'm going to tell my parents that I'm going to spend the night here with you, to make sure you're ok. I'll bring back blankets and won't be gone longer than ten minutes."

I leave and sprint home. I burst in through the doorway. 

"Lo'ak, is Atala alright?" Mom asks as I hurry to grab a blanket. 

"She'll be alright, but she really needs me with her - is it ok if I spend the night with her?" I beg. 

Mom narrows her eyes at me. I can almost see her debating with herself if I'm being truthful or just wanting to stay out. She decides well. "You may." She says with a nod of her head.

"Thank you so much mom! Bye, I'll see you tomorrow." I'm out the door before she can reply. Lucky for me, it was my mom who was in the room, and not my dad. He definitely would have put up more of a fight.

When I get back, Atala is in the same position. She hasn't moved a muscle. I gently help her up and to a little overhang. It'll provide some shelter from the wind. I help her lay down and I lay next to her as I spread the blanket over us. She immediately curls closer to me, her head resting on my arm. I throw my other arm over her, hoping it will feel comfortable. I can see her drifting off to sleep. I think I need to tell her something first. 

"I love you."