Chapter 21 {Atala's PoV}

Lo'ak and I spend the night and most of the next day in our cove. He doesn't pressure me into talking, which I'm grateful for. But by the end of that day, I think I feel ok enough to return to my marui pod.

I'm still incredibly grateful for Lo'ak. For the first time in years, I actually let myself feel my pain instead of pushing it down. And he kept to his promise - he did help me put myself back together. Just by him being there, spending the night in his arms does far more than he knows.

"Atala, you're positive you feel up to going home? You're dealing with some serious shit." Lo'ak says after I tell him I'm returning to my mauri pod.

I nod and smile. "I do appreciate your concern, but I promise I can handle it. Worst case scenario, I'll just not speak to anyone." I plant a light kiss on his lips. "I've got this."

"Ok, just know you can come over anytime." Lo'ak looks very concerned and it's very sweet. He cups my face in his hand. "Promise me?"

I nod and smile. "I promise."

I look up at the sky. Sunset has just begun and I should return before dinner. "I have to get going now. I'll see you tomorrow, alright?"

Lo'ak looks hesitant to let me leave. But he relents. "Ok," He plants a light kiss on my forehead before I start to walk away. Just as I'm about to leave the cove, he calls to me. "Atala?" I turn. "Just know that you don't always have to be strong."

I smile. "That is so cheesy, Lo'ak!" I walk back over him and throw my arms around his waist. "But thank you."

He looks down at me. "Oel ngati kameie."

I take a deep breath before entering the Marui pod. Lo'ak's words are still echoing around my brain. You don't always have to be strong. He's wrong. When I'm here, I do have to be strong. I can't let myself be vulnerable here, not in the place I've been forced to call home for the last 14 years. 

I step into the pod. Tonowari, Ronal and Ao'nung are out. The only one in the pod is Tsireya. Her head snaps in my direction as soon as I step in the room.

"Oh, Atala," She says, her eyes full of sympathy. "I-I heard what really happened to your parents."

I look down. The mention of them feels like a stab in my chest. But I push through it. "Yeah, it kind of sucks."

Tsireya walks over and reaches out for my hand. "If you need to talk, I'm here," She says. She hesitates a moment before speaking again. "I'm sorry, for the way I've treated you over the years. I guess I was just jealous."

My eyes widen. "You? Jealous of me?" The idea alone was unfathomable. Tsireya was the sweetest, most beautiful girl in the village. Not to mention she was the chief's daughter.

"Yes, I was." She looks down shamefully. "You always looked so..unique! And I just look like every other girl in the village, I never stood out."

"Well, I was jealous for the opposite reason," I crack a smile. "You always fit in."

"I guess we're both sorry?" Tsireya says, a tint of hope in her voice.

I nod. "I guess we are." I pause a moment. "We should be friends - we are technically sisters, after all."

Tsireya grins and embraces me. "Yes we should."

A moment goes by before we release the hug. "Do you need to talk about it?" She asks. My parents. I would normally lie and say no, I'm fine, don't worry about me. But this time, I actually do feel somewhat fine. 

"I'm ok, thanks. I already talked to someone and I feel pretty ok." 

Tsireya smiles mischievously. "This someone wouldn't be a particular boyfriend of yours, would it?" 

I shove her arm playfully. "Stop! But yes, it may have been."

She grins and squeals. "I'm so happy for you! You guys are adorable together."

We spend the next while talking about boys, my new relationship, Lo'ak. I think this is the first time I've had an entire conversation with Tsireya by choice and enjoyed it. I think understanding our motives for not liking the other made our new friendship easier. We talk easily until Ronal, Tonowari and Ao'nung return home, long past sunset.

"Tsireya! You were supposed to make dinner!" Ronal scolds. Tsireya flinches. She's clearly not used to being yelled at. But, since we're friends, I step in. I can handle it.

"Ronal, it was my fault," Her sharp gaze snaps to me. "I distracted Tsireya, so she couldn't cook."

Luckily, it works. Ronal throws her hand up and hisses. "Then start cooking!" Tsireya and I hurry over to where knifes and chopping boards are on the floor. We chop the meat and vegetables furiously, then mix them in a skillet over the fire. In less than ten minutes, dinner is ready.

We eat dinner in a tense silence, as always. Tsireya and I keep exchanging glances, and Ronal is certainly picking up on it. Luckily, the meal is over quickly, and everyone escapes to their respective rooms. 

Before I leave the living area, Tsireya pulls me into a quick hug. "If you ever need to talk about anything, I'm here, alright?" 

I nod and smile. "Of course. You can do the same with me if you ever need to."

She smiles and says goodnight before retreating to her room. I stand in the main area for a moment. But just as I'm about to leave for my room, Lo'ak's head pops into the room. 

"Lo'ak?" I whisper harshly. "What are you doing here?" I glance behind me and gently push him outside, just so he won't be visible if anyone were to come back into the main area.

"I know I didn't tell you I'm coming, but I'm not sorry." He says as we step outside. "I needed to make sure you were alright and your family wasn't too harsh on you."

I smile. "Lo'ak, I told you this one of the first times we talked - I'll always be ok."

"You had a breakdown less than 24 hours ago - and I promised I would help you." Lo'ak does make a fair point.

"And you have already helped far more than you know. I'm fine." I promise. "But you really have to go, I don't want Ronal or Tonowari to find out and be upset."

Lo'ak nods once, looking slightly dissapointed. "Ok. Good night, Atala."

I stand on my tiptoes to lightly give him a kiss. "Good night, forest boy." I turn back into the pod and return to my room. As I slip into bed and go to sleep, I can't help feeling a little bit guilty for turning away the forest boy who just wanted to help me.