Chapter 18 {Lo'ak's PoV}

Only the next morning, we're going to tell our parents. We're going to tell Atala's parents first, and then mine and then they can get together and discuss it. I think its a very mature way to go about it. 

Atala manages to convice me to tell my parents first. The plan is for me to break the news to my parents alone. Then, Atala will come in and back me up, because my parents will almost definitely have some questions and accusations.

Atala hides herself in the little nook outside of my house as I go in. She gives my hand a reassuring sqeeze and I mentally thank her for it. I'll take all the help I can get.

"Mom, dad, I need to tell you guys something." I announce as I enter the pod.

"Lo'ak, what did you do?" Mother says. She's chopping up vegetables and is focused on that, rather than me. She doesn't seem overly interested. Dad is helping her and also doesn't seem to care much.

"I kind of need your guys's attention for this." I say. "I'll explain in a second."

"This better be good." Dad says as he and mom pause their cooking and stand in front of me.

I pause. "I'm not really sure how to say this..." I say unsurely.

"Ai, just spit it out!" Mom says, flicking her hand. I flinch a bit. I don't want to be pressured, especially for this. But I need my parents in a decent mood, so I don't argue.

"Fine!" I spit. I sound more agitated than I meant to be. I hope my parents didn't pick up on that. "I..have a girlfriend." I turn to where Atala is hidden. I reach my arm out to her and she steps in, taking my hand. Somehow, she looks confident and calm. I don't know how. I'm very nervous, and I'm sure I look it. Atala, on the other hand, couldn't look less unbothered.

I look at my parents reactions. Mother seems..happy about it? And Dad just looks thrown off.

"Thank Eywa that it is you." She says, striding over to Atala. "You have a good influence on my son. I can see it."

Atala smiles. "Thank you." She's using that fake sweet voice that she used when she first met my family. I know it's fake, but my mom eats it up. 

Dad looks less than thrilled. "Neytiri, can I talk to you outside for just a moment?" He says.

Mom sighs a little before following Dad outside. Atala slips over, as close as she can get without being spotted. I follow, but from more of a distance. I can still hear clearly, though.

"Neytiri, are we positive Lo'ak is mature enough for this?" He says quietly, just loud enough for Atala and I to hear. "He's fourteen, it is possible that he doesn't have the best intentions. He could be pressuring her or being unsafe."

Great to know how much my dad believes in me.

"Ah, Jake," Mom says sharply. "Have some faith in your son, and have some faith in the girl. Trust that she is smart ant strong enough to realize when she is in an unsafe situation, which she is not. Our son would not do that."

"Are you positive?" Dad says.

"Yes." Mom confirms. I hear them approaching and Atala and I hurry to our positions from before. We make it just as my parents are walking in.

"We give you our blessing." Mom says, smiling at Atala. Dad still does not look happy about it. His burning gaze is on me. I already know what it means. We'll talk about this later. I shift uncomfortably.

"Thank you so much, Neytiri, Jake." Atala says. I think she's trying to distract my dad so he will stop glaring at me. "Lo'ak just kept saying he would never want to go against his parents, especially not on something as crucial as this." Wow. I don't even know how she lies so smoothly about this stuff.