Chapter 13 - {Atala's PoV}

Both Lo'ak and I know that our parents would never approve of our relationship. Neither of us really know what we are yet. I think we're somewhere in between friends and dating. We've still been hanging out during the day, doing normal group activities. But when the sun goes down and the village is asleep, we meet in our cove so we can be alone together.

Our nightly meet ups are my favourite part of the day. We go night-swimming, make sand castles, look at the stars, kiss. And talk. No matter what we do, theres always a steady flow of conversation. Good or bad, we talk about it.

For the first three days,  I don't think anyone has any suspicion. Until Tsireya approaches me. 

"Where have you been sneaking out to during the nights?" She asks just as I'm about to leave to go hunting. 

"What?" I lie. Having strict adopted parents who dish out punishments like I breath air has given me the gift of being able to lie in a heartbeat. "Who's sneaking out?"

Tsireya gives me a look. "I know you've been leaving at night time."

I glance around. "Fine, but you cannot tell anyone" I say. "I've been sneaking out to spend time with Lo'ak."

Her hands fly to her mouth and she lets out a tiny sqeal. "I knew it! You guys are so cute together."

"Stop! You seriously cannot tell anyone." I say. "Jake, Neytiri, Tonowari and Ronal would not approve."

Tsireya nods. "Of course, I won't tell anyone, I promise."

"Thank you."

Apart from Tsireya, no one else has found out about Lo'ak and I. But I know that we can't do this forever. At some point we'll either have to make it official and tell our parents, or call it off. I don't know which would be easier. On one hand, making it official would mean telling our parents, which would most likely lead to me getting kicked out for at least a week. But I really do like Lo'ak, and I don't want to stop seeing him. 

I express my concerns to Lo'ak that night. His back is resting on the back of a tree as I'm sitting beside him, resting on his chest.

"Tsireya confronted me today, so she knows now." I say. "I don't know how much longer we'll be able to keep this a secret."

"Oh - how did she find out?" Lo'ak asks.

"She figured out that I was sneaking out and I didn't want to lie to her." I sigh. "Things have been good between us lately and I didn't want to ruin that."

"Understandable." He says. "But I agree, we can't keep this a secret for much longer. I think Kiri and Neteyam are getting suspicious too."

"So what do we do about it?" I say. "We either make it official and tell our parents or.."

"..Or we end it." I can feel Lo'ak tense up beneath me. "It's up to you."

I pause for a moment. I want to be with Lo'ak, I really do, but the thought of our parents finding out terrifies me. Not to mention the judgment and scorn we would face from the rest of the village and even our friends. But, like Lo'ak said, it's my decision to choose between being happy with the cost of getting in trouble or sacrifice happiness for safety. But I'm not one to be afraid of getting in trouble. 

"I think we make it official and tell our parents." I say slowly. 

Lo'ak brings his hand under my chin and tilts my head up so we're facing each other. "Then, Atala, would you do me the great honour of being my girlfriend?"

I stretch up so we're just a whisper apart. "Yes, I would love to." I plant my lips on his. The giddy excitement of kissing Lo'ak hasn't worn off. It's still like a zap every time. But this time, rather than a brief kiss on the lips, this one is deeper, more intense. Lo'ak's arms are under me and my arms are around his chest. He pulls me on top of him and we're lying on the sand now. His lips travel down my neck as I readjust my position on top of him. 

A moment later, we break apart. We both know what would happen if there was any trace of us doing this. But, instead of resting my head on his shoulder, I let him hold me close, my back pressed against his torso. We watch the sky, the stars, the planets. But all too soon, I have to leave Lo'ak and his warmth.

We stand up together, our hands still clasped together. He presses his forehead to mine. "Thank you for choosing to stay with me." He says. "I'm honestly not sure what I would have done if you had wanted to break it off."

"Well, I don't know either." I say. 

"I just hope I can be a good boyfriend." He says, pulling his head away. 

"We both have the same worries about this, Lo'ak." I say, looking up into his amber eyes. "But we'll get through it. Together." 

Lo'ak nods. "Together."

I move closer to him so our bodies are pressed against each other. His hand reaches to move a strand of hair out of my face, and he cups my face in his hand. I plant a soft, but firm kiss on his lips, my hands finding their way to his back. We linger like that for a moment, neither of us wanting to go home, not wanting to leave our cove. 

So we don't leave.

Before I know it, we're back by the tree, his back pressed up against it, me sitting on top of him, furiously kissing each other. Yes, it's risky to stay out later, but who's gonna know?

Footsteps and a voice causes me to tear my lips away from Lo'ak. Unfortunately, I'm not fast enough to move my body off of his.  

"Ah, now what do we have here? The mighty warrior finally got himself a girlfriend."