Chapter 28 {Lo'ak's PoV}

I can't sleep.

Not only because I'm cuffed in a very uncomfortable position, but I'm trapped on an enemy ship with the resurrected guy who almost killed both of my parents who is now threatening to kill me.

Great.

By the time midday rolls around, I'm starting to doubt my parents are going to come for me. Maybe they'd just be happier with all of the perfect children, and not the screw up I am. But no. Even if she's mad at me, Atala wouldn't want me to die, right? She would rally them to come get me.

But then again, she looked absolutely murderous last night, like a literal storm was brewing in her. Maybe she doesn't want me back, maybe she would rather be with Neteyam, the better brother. I can't get her face out of my head, the look she was wearing when she told me to leave.

My ears prick up. I hear something in the distance, something big. As I look to the sky, my mother on her Ikran is looping over the ship. I can just barley hear her calls. I look to the horizon and I can see a massive shape moving under the water towards the ship. Actually, as they draw near, I see it's actually a bunch of small shapes - ilu and skimwings. 

"Sir! We have movement!" One of the Avatars call to Quaritch. He strides over and take the binoculars from the Avatar. 

An unnerving grin creeps onto Quaritch's face. "Excellent. Everyone! Front deck, arms ready!" He commands. In an instant, his soldiers, human and Avatar, are lined up on the front rail, all around me, guns at the ready. There has to be at least 30 of them, all of them with at least one gun. 

Quaritch looks to me and spots the communicator in my ear. He rips it out and places it in his own ear.

My heart hammers in my chest. I search the crowd for familiar faces. I spot my father, leading the imposing group. Neteyam is on the far right. I can't help but hope that Atala decided to come fight to free me. I know it's selfish, to wish that she put herself in harms way but it would comfort me to know that she still cares enough to come help me.

Despite looking unlike any other Na'vi on Pandora, I know it will be difficult to find her in the crowd. She has an eerie skill to blend in with her surroundings. But I eventually find her, just behind my father. Her back is straight and she's looking right at me. For just a split second, I see her cool, confident mask come off to reveal the hurt, angry and afraid girl beneath. But before I can study the look, the mask is back in place, her features sharpened into a glare and her eyes hardened into a death stare.

"You hear me, Sully?" he says, speaking to my dad. What he doesn't know is that his words are also being transmitted to Neteyam and my mom. I look to my dad and I can see the realization dawn on him. "You know the deal. You for your boy." Quaritch continues. He pulls out a pistol and puts it to my head. 

Cold terror shoots through me. I freeze. If I move, I know he'll blast the bullet through my skull.

"You and I both know that I have your son," He says. "I don't want to kill your son, Sully, but it's only fair. You betrayed good soldiers, men, women, your own species. So it's only fair that I take your sons life. And then yours."

I try to think of something that I can do to help my parents, but there isn't much I can do. I can barley move, with my arms and legs cuffed, and no one is close enough for me to use my head at all. So I'm pretty much useless right now.

My eyes fly to Atala. If I'm about to die, I want to spend my last few minutes trying to catch her eye, hoping that she knows I'm sorry.

I find her in the crowd. She's staring into the distance, and I know she's formulating a plan. A small smirk creeps onto her face. She knows what to do.